thirty-five

Benny and Lily walked into Ethan's room, Benny sighed, "I was this close to conjuring up an invisible sandwich, what could be so urgent that-oh," he said, taking a folded piece of paper from Ethan.

Lily stood next to Benny, and looked at the paper, "No way, your learners permit?" she smiled.

"This is way more important than my invisi-BLT," Benny remarked, unfolding the paper.

"That's right, I'm now legal to drive, as long as there's a licensed driver in the car with me," Ethan explained.

Benny scoffed, "You need a babysitter for the car too? Lame," both Lily and Ethan raised their eyebrows, and eventually, Benny nodded, "And your babysitter is Sarah, with a driver's licence, less lame,"

"Well, awesome people don't like to brag Benny, awesome people like me,"

Lily chuckled, "Okay, Mr awesome, do you have a car?"

Ethan's smile dropped, "No, I do not," he sighed.

Benny smirked, "Leave that to me," he snapped his fingers, but no car appeared, "Eh, worth a shot, plan B,"

--

"Seriously? This piece of junk," Ethan remarked, as he, Lily, and Benny, looked at the red, run-down car in front of them.

Lily shrugged, "It's in your price range," she reasoned.

Benny took her hand and muttered, "Maybe I should get a car, then I could drive us to a hillside to watch the stars," he smirked, looking down at Lily.

She chuckled, patting his arm, "Very romantic Benny, but somehow, I wouldn't trust you driving a car,"

Benny frowned, "What? C'mon, I'd be an amazing driver, wouldn't I Ethan?"

Ethan cringed, "Well, you tend to get distracted,"

"I do not get- ooh, an antique record player," he said, fiddling with the record player on a table near them.

Malcolm, the guy who was running the yard sale, saw they were looking at the car, and walked towards them, "Hey, seventy-five bucks, and it's yours,"

"Hey Malcolm, what's going on?" Ethan asked, putting his hands in his back pockets.

"My grandpa left me all of his favourite things in his will, so I'm selling them," he explained.

"Is this him?" Lily asked, as Ethan picked up a photo frame from the windshield.

"Hey, are you gonna buy that photo? I'll throw in a cat salt shaker,"

Benny rolled his eyes, "Family air looms, I'll totally buy something you think is worthless and then sell it for more," he cleared his throat, "And I'm sorry for your loss,"

"Yeah, sorry, but," Ethan placed the photo frame back where it was, "I'm only interested in the car, does it run?"

Malcolm shrugged, "Maybe, once you get the squirrels nest out of the engine, just, think about it, I gotta go sell some grandpa pants," he finished, walking off.

Benny's eyes lit up as he spotted something in a pile near them, "Look, an antique mini bullhorn, these are worth thousands,"

He blew the 'bullhorn' and Ethan cringed, "That's a hearing aid,"

Benny gagged, "Waxy," he turned to face Ethan, "Could you buy this car and drive me to the nearest bucket of mouthwash?"

Lily chuckled, patting his back, "I, uh, don't think I'll be kissing you anytime soon,"

Ethan got in the car, but immediately got out as the engine started, "It runs!" Benny remarked.

"So do I," Ethan said, running away from the car.