thirteen

"Sarah, are you okay? Are you sure you want to go near all the blood?" Lily asked Sarah, as they stood near the blood drive the school was hosting.

"Yep, I'm fine, totally fine, I can take it," she replied as she frantically dug her hand into the crisp packet she was holding. Lily sighed and watched as the nurses took blood from the students. She wished she could give blood, but something about the whole idea of a needle being pushed up her arm, freaked her out.

She looked across to Benny and Ethan, and chuckled as Ethan looked like he was about to faint. She also noticed Benny drooling over the nurses, which she tried to ignore, but instead, she couldn't take her eyes off him.

"You're staring," said Sarah, momentarily taking her eyes off the blood.

"What? No, I'm not," Lily scoffed, looking to the ground.

"If it's that nurse you're worrying about, don't worry, he doesn't have a chance with her," Sarah chuckled, looking back to the blood, and munching on her chips.

"It doesn't matter anyway..." Lily trailed off. She sighed, lately she couldn't stop thinking about Benny, and she didn't know why. He was always on her mind, and she always wanted to be around him. She shook her head, convincing herself it was nothing.

"Hey Lily, hey Sarah..." Ethan greeted as he came over to talk to them, shielding his face from the needles on the way.

"Hey," Lily replied.

"What's up?" Sarah said, not taking her eyes off the blood that was being donated.

"Not much, are you okay?" Ethan asked.

Still not taking her eyes off the blood, Sarah replied, "Sure, I'm fine, why? Don't I look okay?"

"Uh, you've kinda got chips on your face," Lily told her, pointing to the corner of her mouth.

Sarah groaned as she wiped it, "Fine,"

"The blood is really getting to you, huh?" Ethan asked, as Sarah carried on eating her chips, "If you want, I could be your, uh, diet buddy?"

"It's Erica I'm worried about, she doesn't have much self-control and if-"

Sarah got interrupted as Erica turned around to face them holding a plate of cookies, "Hey guys, cookie?" she asked, as she smirked showing her fangs, Ethan, Lily, and Sarah looked at her with wide eyes.

--

"A student volunteer? That is so devious, and kinda... clever,"

Erica smirked, "I know right! So, when are you gonna take a sip? The sooner we get past this whole awkward phase of our friendship, the better,"

"I don't eat humans, sorry if that's awkward for you," Sarah replied. Erica held up a tube of blood tauntingly; Sarah's eyes widened and she reached her hand into the crisp packet but there were none left.

"Come on, I'll get you some more," Lily said as she dragged Sarah towards a vending machine.

--

"No, no, no, don't do this to me," Sarah yelled as her chips got stuck in the vending machine.

She reached out to punch it but Lily stopped her, "Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be something in the cafeteria for you to eat." They started to walk away but Erica stopped them.

"You do realise you can end your pain with one tincy little sip?" she said, waving her Dusk cup tauntingly in front of Sarah.

She sighed, "That blood is meant to save lives, you know?"

"Well, duh, mission accomplished," Erica replied, taking a sip of the blood from her cup, "See, no screaming,"

"Right, until you get caught, we'll see who screams then," Sarah glared as she ripped open her crisp packet and the chips inside fell to the floor.

Erica chuckled, "No problem, five second rule," she smirked as she walked away.

"Sarah, don't worry, you're strong enough to fight this," Lily encouraged, patting her back.

Sarah nodded, "You're right, I am," she said, she then knelt to the floor and picked up a chip, "Right after I eat this chip,"

Lily sighed and dragged her friend towards the cafeteria.

--

Lily and Sarah walked towards Ethan and Benny, all day Lily had been making sure her friend didn't go nuts over the blood, and now she was glad it was finally over.

"Hey guys," she said.

"Hey," Benny replied, "Wanna come and play RoboZombies with me and Ethan?"

"Sure," she shrugged, Benny grinned at her.

"You guys go ahead, I need to talk to Sarah," Ethan told them, they nodded and walked away from him.

--

"How are you so good at this game?" Lily huffed, smashing the buttons on her controller.

"What can I say? I've had a lot of practise," Benny replied, chuckling.

Lily giggled, she looked over to him and smiled; she tried not to think about how cute he looked when he was concentrating, instead, she looked back to the computer screen and focused on winning the game. Benny paused it as his phone started beeping.

"Is it Rory?" Lily asked, placing her controller on the desk and peering over his shoulder to look at the phone, "Why is he behind the school?"

"I'm not sure, let's see what the security camera has to say," Benny replied, as he clicked a few buttons on the computer and an image of the blood drive's truck appeared on the screen.

Their eyes widened, "You don't think he's..."

"Yep, we should call Ethan," Benny dialled his phone number and he picked up quite quickly, "Dude, Rory and Erica are gonna hit the donor van behind the school,"

Benny then furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at his phone, "What! He hung up!"

"It doesn't matter, c'mon, we need to go!"