forty-five

"Now, I hope that these native artefacts are gonna inspire some culturally diverse costume choices this halloween," Mr G grinned, as he put away the last of the artefacts he was showing the class.

Benny yawned, "What's inspiring me right now is a nap," he muttered.

"I miss naps!" Rory exclaimed from behind the three, "The dreaming, the snoring, the drooling,"

Ethan turned slightly in his chair, "Since when did you give up drooling?"

Rory ignored him and leant his head down on his desk, muttering something about loving naps; Lily rolled her eyes and turned back towards the front of the class.

Before Rory could drift off to sleep, Mr G showed them a very creepy mask, making almost everyone in the class jump a little, "Here's a sight for scary eyes," he started, as Rory leant back down, "according to native legend, an ancient warlord would use this mask to bing to life the fighting spirits of his army, and the warlords warriors would dawn the furs of wolves and bears, and then, you know what would happen?"

Lily shrugged, "Animal rights groups would protest?"

"They would smell like old carcasses?" Benny added to her remark, the two grinned at each other, proud of their comments.

"No," Mr G sighed, "the natives believed the warriors would turn into actual wolves and bears, scary stuff, eh kids?"

The bell rang and the class began to pack away their things, Lily, Ethan, and Benny quickly scurried out of the room - the three chuckled as they noticed Rory had to stay behind, since he 'pretended' to sleep. Ethan soon left the two to talk to Sarah, which was expected by the both of them.

Benny slung his arm around Lily, "So, what are you going as for halloween?" she asked.

"That, my good lady, is a secret," Benny answered, randomly putting on a posh accent.

Lily chuckled, "Oh really? Well, I guess I can't tell you what I'm going as, then,"

Scoffing, Benny replied, "I know exactly who you're dressing up as,"

"Okay, Mr know-it-all, tell me, what's my costume gonna be?"

They reached Ethan's locker, and Benny smirked, "Princess Leia, you've been going as her for halloween every year since I've known you,"

"Damn," Lily huffed.

"Change of plan," Ethan interrupted, as he walked up to Benny and Lily, "I told Sarah we're having a halloween party, so that's what we're doing,"

Lily frowned, "Why would you tell her that? Our parties are terrible,"

Ethan shrugged, shutting his locker, "Why not?"

Benny raised his eyebrows, as if the answer was obvious, "Because it'll just be the three of us, that's why,"

"Are you seriously trying to tell me that we don't have a dozen friends with ready-to-wear costumes that have no halloween plans?" Ethan asked, "We invite the mathletes and we're half way there,"

Both Benny and Lily smirked, "Awh, you really wanna make Sarah's night, don't you?"

Sighing in defeat, Ethan answered, "I just don't wanna ruin her night, anyways, we could at least invite Rory,"

Benny's eyes widened, "What? Do you remember what happened last time?"

"You mean the time he started jumping on Ethan's couch, shouting that he was a caveman?" Lily asked.

"Yep, and that wasn't even a costume party,"

"I'm sure he'll be better this time," Ethan reasoned with the two - they were both about to give in when they spotted Rory across the hall.