forty-nine

Benny strolled upstairs to his room, it was a couple of days later, and he still couldn't get what Ethan said out of his head. On top of that, now it was like every time he saw Lily around school, he turned into a kid again - a blushing schoolgirl who giggles whenever she sees her crush. He sighed, opening up his calculus book and beginning to study.

Before long there was a knock at his door, "Benny," Evelyn started, "Someone's here to see you,"

Benny frowned, looking up at his grandma, "Who? Is it Chad? Because I told him I couldn't make practice tonight,"

She shrugged, "No, not Chad, it's a boy called Ethan, is he new friend of yours?"

"Uh, yeah," he cleared his throat, "He's, uh, helping me with my calculus homework," he pointed to the books in front of him.

"Oh, I see," she grinned, "I'll tell him he can come on up,"

"Wait, grandma," she turned around to face him, "Do you, uh, remember anything about a girl called Lily?"

Evelyn furrowed her eyebrows, "No, sorry honey, why?" her frown then broke into a smirk, "Does my little Benny have a crush?"

"What? No!" he chuckled, "I was just...wondering,"

"The only Lily I know is the one who works in the pizza place down the street," she smiled, "Lovely girl, quite shy, but she always gets my orders right so, what more could I ask for?" she chuckled, leaving the room.

Some seconds later, Ethan walked in, "Thank god, I didn't think you'd let me up,"

"Hey, I may be a jock but I'm not a total bully," Benny rolled his eyes, "What do you want anyway? This better not be about that magic thing,"

Ethan sat next to Benny on his bed, "So, you're telling me that you don't believe me whatsoever? Some part of you must remember me, and if not me then Lily at least,"

Benny kept his gaze on the floor, "I'm not - it's just - I dunno,"

"You do, don't you?" Ethan smirked, "You just don't wanna admit it,"

"Shut up, okay?" Benny shrugged, "That Lily chick keeps entering my mind, it's weird," he sighed, "Don't get all excited when I tell you this, but, this totally hot babe invited me to a party this Friday, and I said no,"

Ethan frowned, "And why exactly would I get excited over that?"

"Because you were the reason I said no! Well, Lily was actually, I felt like I was cheating on her, even though I'm not with her,"

Ethan's eyes immediately lit up, "That means you do remember! And Lily probably does too, we have to find her and-"

"Hey," Benny interrupted, "I never said I'd help you,"

"C'mon Benny," Ethan pleaded.

Benny thought about it for a second: maybe once he helped the nerd, he would forget about Lily, and everything would go back to normal; he could get any girl he wanted, and not feel any deep feelings for anyone, at least, not like the ones he was currently feeling for Lily.

"Fine," he huffed, "But if anyone finds out I'm hanging out with you, then the deal is off,"

"Sure," Ethan stood up, "Okay, now we need to convince Lily, it'd be kind of weird going to her house since her mom doesn't remember us, so-"

"There's no need to go to her house," Benny shrugged, standing up too.

"What do you mean?"

"We can just go to the pizza place she works at, it's, like, a five minute walk," Benny explained, walking out of the room.