forty-three

Benny and Ethan sat happily playing video games - like they usually did - in Ethan's room, before Ethan's phone started ringing, he picked it up to be greeted with Rory, "Yo, E-dog, you got twenty minutes before MC Monster Bat drops the beats,"

"Who is it?" Benny asked, his eyes glued to the screen.

"MC Monster Bat, that's me... Rory," Rory rolled his eyes, "I'm trying out for the school talent show,"

Lily sat on a table near Rory, her arms crossed, glancing at some of the students that had turned up for the open mic, "Rory, is that Ethan?"

"Yep,"

She stood up and took the phone from the blonde, "Ethan, hey, this is Lily, can you pass the phone to Benny or a sec?" she asked, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground.

Ethan bit his lip, putting his controller down and holding the phone out to his friend, "Uh, Lily wants to talk to you,"

Benny paused the game and frowned, "Lily? What's Lily doing watching Rory perform-oh shoot," his eyes widened as he took the phone from Ethan, and chuckled nervously, "Uh, hi babe," he greeted, his voice slightly higher than usual.

Lily walked away from Rory slightly, so he wouldn't hear, "I can't believe you!" she snapped, "When Rory invited me to watch him perform at this 'open mic' night, I said that I didn't want to go and you were all: 'Oh, I'll come with you babe, yeah we can get pizza afterwards blah, blah blah'," she mimicked, "And then I turn up here and where are you? Oh, that's right! Sat playing video games with Ethan! So now I have to sit through Rory's performance alone, just like I didn't want to do in the first place-"

"I am so sorry," Benny started, "I completely forgot, look, I promise I'll make it up to you, please forgive me? Pretty, pretty, please?"

Lily sighed, "You're lucky you're adorable," she chuckled, "fine, I forgive you," she started walking back over to Rory, "But you better get me some pizza or something after this,"

"Totally will," Benny replied, "I love you,"

"Love you too," Lily smiled handing the phone back to Rory as Benny handed the phone back to Ethan.

Rory hung up shortly afterwards, turning to Lily and grinning, "So, you excited to watch my performance, sweetness?" he asked, as the two sat down.

Lily forced a smile, "I can't wait,"

They turned their attention to the stage, as a girl stood behind a keyboard - she was dressed in all black, and had dark brown hair, Lily reminded herself to ask her where she got her boots later on.

"This song is about how I hurt sometimes, maybe you'll hurt too," the girl smirked, before she began singing.

Rory found himself entering some kind of trance, but was snapped out of it when his phone rang, and so he walked outside to answer it, escaping the violence that would take over the room in a few minutes.

As Lily watched the girl sing, she also found herself in some kind of trance, and she barely noticed Rory walk outside. She looked up to see people beginning to shove each other, and before she knew it, she was joining in. Since most of the people there were jocks, it was easy for them to overpower her, and when Rory walked back into the room, after the girl's performance had ended, he saw Lily on the floor, looking like she was about to throw up, staring with wide eyes at her wrist, that was already turning purple.

--

"She destroyed the audience... and Lily's wrist," Rory explained to Ethan and Benny, as the three stood by their lockers, "I tried to destroy the paramedics when they showed up, but they asked me to be quiet while they worked,"