forty-two

"Okay, here we go," Samantha, Ethan's mom, said as she placed a plate cookies in front of Ethan, Lily, Benny, and Sarah, who were sat at Ethan's dining table, "Don't you think you guys are getting a bit old for milk and cookies?"

"Maybe," Benny smirked, "But you're never too old for a cookie sandwich,"

He shoved three cookies placed on top of each other into his mouth and Sarah frowned, "Just when I think you've found every way there is to be disgusting, you find another one, how do you date him Lil?"

The three turned to Lily, who also had three cookies in her hand ready to eat, "Sorry, what were you saying?"

Ethan and Sarah chuckled, "I think he's rubbing off on you,"

There was a knock at the door before a jolly, "Hello," was heard from Evelyn, Benny's grandma, as she entered the dining room.

"Hello Evelyn, come on in," Samantha greeted, "What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to make sure that Benny isn't making a mess-" she then used some of her magic to spill Benny's milk, "Oh, look at that, do you have any napkins?"

"Stay put, no problem, I'll get some,"

"Grandma!"

"Well, what do you have to say for yourselves?" Evelyn whispered, glaring at the four.

"It's an easy explanation," Benny shrugged, "Sarah didn't believe in trolls, and Lily and Ethan bet that I couldn't conjure one, what was I supposed to do?"

"You didn't conjure a troll, you conjured a toll," she sighed, "Cost me five bucks to get out of my living room,"

"Ha!" Ethan smirked, "Told you, you couldn't do it!"

Lily chuckled, "Sorry Benny,"

Samantha came back with the napkins, and so Evelyn used her magic to spill some of the cookies, "Benny!"

"It's okay! I'll get the dust pan," Samantha smiled, walking off into the kitchen again.

"Well," Benny continued, "At least I conjured a toll booth, I bet none of you could do that,"

"No, all I do is fight everything while you hide," Sarah smirked, "Like you hide when the stupid robot dentist movie's on,"

"Hey! Cyber-dentist came to our planet to fill our cavities with pain," he sat back in his chair, "And anyway, being scared of Cyber-dentist is better than being scared of 'Chucky'."

"Benny!" Lily hit his arm, "That was supposed to be a secret!"

Sarah laughed quite loudly, "Ha! You're scared of 'Chucky', that little doll thingy?"

"That 'little doll thingy' is actually a serial killer, and is a lot stronger than you'd think," Lily reasoned, "And at least I'm not hiding from myself,"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That you're a vampire who's afraid to bite people," Ethan answered, "What? She said it, not me,"

"And you're so perfect?" Sarah retaliated.

"I'm just saying, between Benny and Lily's misspelt magic and your smash-happy strategy, you'd all fail without my bullet proof genius plans,"

Lily frowned, "My magic is not 'misspelt',"

"Stop!" Evelyn whisper-yelled, "You four are a team, I sense a coming darkness," she explained, "A force so powerful, so evil that none of you stand a chance against it alone, only by working together can-" she paused as she realised not one of them were listening and they were all instead on their phones, "You have to work together,"