35. Peggy Schuyler x Alexander Hamilton!Friendship: Peggy Confides In Me (2)

╔═.. ═════════════╗

HELPLESS.
35. Peggy Schuyler x Alexander Hamilton!Friendship: Peggy Confides In Me (2)

╚═════════════.. ═╝

( Requested by Panda_Kyo )

ELIZABETH Hamilton was fuming as she heard her husband, Alexander, and younger sister, Margarita, laughing upstairs

Is Peggy trying to steal Alexander from me? Does he like her more than me, whom he just married two days ago? Those were just some of the thoughts that were swimming around in Eliza's head.

When Eliza heard Peggy squeal happily, "Alex, stop it!" she slammed down the book that she was reading.

What were they doing up there? she asked herself before deciding that there was only one way to find out.

She took off her high-heel shoes to avoid detection and stood up from the chair she was sat on, quietly making her way up the stairs to her younger sister's bedroom where the "sleepover" was taking place.

When Eliza was standing directly outside of the bedroom door, she leaned in closer so that she could hear what the two were talking about.

"Hey, Alex." It was Peggy's voice that Eliza first heard drift through the door. Unlike earlier, all happiness and playfulness were gone from her voice, and instead, she was serious.

"Yes, Pegs?" Alexander responded.

"Do you love my sister?" This took Eliza by surprise, considering that she wasn't expecting to be brought up in conversation. Although, Peggy could be referring to their older sister, Angelica.

"Of course I love Eliza," Alexander said, making relief rush through the woman who was eavesdropping.

"How much?" Peggy questioned.

"With all my heart."

There were a few moments of silence from in the room, and Eliza held her breath in case they could hear her ragged breathing as she waited expectantly.

Finally, after what felt like years of waiting, Peggy said, "I believe you."

Eliza let out the breath that she had been holding as Alexander spoke, "Why would you think otherwise?"

"Well..." It seemed that Peggy wasn't sure about what she was going to say, but after a slight hesitation, she continued, "It's just that you married her so fast. I mean, you barely knew her, and then you wrote to dad asking for her hand."

Does Peggy not approve of our marriage? Is she jealous that she wasn't my Maid of Honor?

"Pegs," Alexander said gently, pulling Eliza out of her thoughts. "The Revolution is growing, and I might have to go back and fight. If things go wrong, I want to die a happy, married man rather than just being defined as a bastard orphan."

More silence filled the room, which was soon broken by Alexander, who said, "Now turn around. I get to braid your hair now."

Eliza stifled a laugh at what her husband had just said. Braiding hair? Alexander never let anyone touch his hair, claiming that it was too precious for hands that weren't his.

"Hey, Alex," Peggy repeated what she had said when Eliza had started listening in to their conversation, "can I tell you something without you freaking out?"

"Of course you can, Pegs, we're best friends," Alexander said.

Eliza's heart swelled when she heard her husband say this. Peggy needed a best friend, and it seemed that Alexander was the best person for that role.

"Promise you won't freak out?" Peggy asked, stalling.

"I promise," Alexander laughed.

"Okay, here goes." Peggy took a deep breath, and Eliza leaned closer in order to hear what her younger sister was going to confess. "At the wedding... John and I kissed."

Eliza gasped, and quickly realizing her mistake, she covered her mouth with her hand. But she didn't need to worry about being heard because Alexander gave a loud, excited scream that made her cover her ears. It must have been louder in the room, and Eliza hoped that his scream hadn't deafened Peggy.

"You promised you wouldn't freak out!" Peggy complained loudly in order to be heard over Alexander's screaming and jumping up and down, which he had just started doing.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just so excited!" Alexander stopped jumping up and down. "I knew he liked you! Didn't I tell you at our last sleepover?"

"Yeah, you did," Peggy said. "You were right because he said he loved me and asked to court me."

Alexander took a deep breath, which Eliza could only assume was to scream again, but nothing came. Confused, Eliza leaned forward again, only for her ears to be attacked by Peggy's exclamation of, "Hey, you licked my hand!"

Trying not to chuckle at the fact that Peggy must have covered Alexander's mouth with her hand, Eliza kept listening.

"What did you say?" Alexander asked excitedly. "What did you say?"

"I said..." Peggy paused dramatically and Eliza could imagine Alexander leaning forward in anticipation. "Yes!"

Alexander screamed in delight again, and this time, Peggy didn't stop him. Instead, she laughed, taking Eliza by surprise — she hadn't heard Peggy laugh like that since... well, never. She smiled softly as tears started swimming in her eyes. But before the tears could start falling, Alexander said, "Let's go tell Eliza!"

Eyes widening and heart pounding at the thought of being caught, Eliza quickly backed away from the door and ran down the stairs so that they wouldn't know she'd been eavesdropping.

She slipped her shoes back on and picked up the book that she had previously slammed down in anger. Sitting on the chair again, Eliza heard Alexander and Peggy's laughter as they made their way downstairs to tell her.

Eliza smiled again as she heard her sister's laughter and pretended to read her book, trying to calm her heavy breathing and fix her hair so it wouldn't look like she'd been running.

Just before they got downstairs, Eliza realized that Alexander had been right. Peggy really did confide in him.