48. Daveed Diggs x Reader: Baby

╔═.. ═════════════╗

HELPLESS.
48. Daveed Diggs x Reader: Baby

╚═════════════.. ═╝

( Requested by CarlyGipson )

NERVOUSLY, you flattened your (Y/F/C) skirt, clearing it of any wrinkles that it had

You were waiting for your husband, Daveed Diggs, to get home from the Richard Roger's Theatre — he was playing Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson in Lin Manuel Miranda's new musical Hamilton, which was about one of the Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton — where he had been starring in a matinée performance. Since it was a two show day, he was expected to be in another performance, but luckily for you, he had been given the evening off, so an understudy would be going on for him tonight, instead.

It would be the perfect time for you to tell him that, after all of your efforts to have a baby, you were finally pregnant. And you knew the perfect way to break it to him.

At first, you didn't know whether or not you were happy. Sure, you had always wanted to have a child with Daveed, but that was before he had been cast in Hamilton. You knew how hectic an actor's schedule could be, and you knew that it would be even busier since he was in a very successful Broadway show. What if acting is more important than a baby? That thought had been at the back of your mind ever since he had excepted Lin's offer to be in his musical. He was happy, though, and you were happy that he was happy, so you ignored it because you knew that Daveed would be ecstatic. He had been talking about children ever since you were engaged — a bit before that, actually.

When your phone beeped, signalling that you had a text, you picked it up and unlocked it to read what Lin had written you. Show just finished, it read, He's on his way. You ready?

Your eyes widened as you knew it wouldn't be long before Daveed arrived — the two of you lived close to the theatre, which was very convenient when he started working there.

Ready as I'll ever be, you texted back. Thank you.

Good luck! Lin replied.

Smiling to yourself, you put your phone on silent and threw it lightly on your bed. You were glad that you were friends with Lin, not just because he was so great, but because he had the power to give people time off from the show. As soon as you had discovered that you were pregnant (which was a few hours ago), you had called Lin, asking if he could give Daveed the evening show off so that you could tell him — you didn't tell Lin the reason why, though, as you wanted Daveed to be the first to know. Of course, Daveed had been confused, but Lin had just shrugged and told him that Andrew Chappelle hadn't played Lafayette and Jefferson lately, and had decided to let him do just that. Daveed didn't think anything of it, and, according to Lin, he had started talking about how excited he was to spend time with his wife. It gave you confidence, which was definitely something you needed right now.

A few minutes passed, and soon, you heard Daveed's key jingle in the lock, and the door open soon after. Your heart started to beat faster, but you tried to calm it down to avoid upsetting the baby.

"Daveed?" you called, walking into the living room to greet him. Feigning surprise, you asked, "What are you doing home? I thought you had another show."

"Yeah, I thought so too," Daveed replied, setting his back down by the door. "But Lin gave me the evening off. I'm not complaining, though, 'cause now, I can spend time with my beautiful wife."

Even though you had been together since towards the end of high school, his comment still made you blush.

After he had kissed you, you thought of the bag that was waiting on the kitchen table. "I bought a shirt today," you told him. "It's in the kitchen. Do you want to take a look?"

"Sure," Daveed said, walking into the kitchen with you trailing behind him.

"I think you'll like it," you said.

"Will I now?" Daveed asked amusedly with a smirk. But when he lifted one of the t-shirts out of the bag and saw what was written on it, the smirk was replaced with a shocked expression. "World's Best Dad?"

"I have a World's Best Mom one, so we'll be matching," you said, beginning to tear up. But Daveed was staring at the shirt, not saying anything, which made you worry and think of the worst. "Daveed?"

"I-I..." Daveed stuttered out before a large grin appeared on his face. "I'm going to be a dad?"

You nodded, relieved that he was smiling. "Yeah," you said. "You are."

"OH, MY GOD!" Daveed shouted excitedly, dropping the shirt back in the bag, running over to you, and lifting you up off of the floor into a hug, spinning you around before setting you down again, but not letting go. "We're going to be parents."

"We are parents," you corrected him, pulling away from him just enough to rest your hands on your still-flat stomach; by your approximation, you were only a few weeks along — not enough to be showing.

"Is that why Lin gave me the evening off?" Daveed asked.

"I didn't tell him why, though," you answered. "I just told him that I had some news to tell you. But he probably guessed."

"I did think it was weird because Andrew only just played Lafayette and Jefferson last week," he said. "I didn't call him out on it 'cause I wanted to see you."

You laughed at what Daveed had told you. Should have thought of a better lie, Lin, you thought to yourself. But you were glad it had worked, no matter how suspicious it had sounded to your husband.

Daveed placed his hands on top of yours on your stomach, which broke you out of your thoughts. "We're having a baby," he said, still not believing that his dream was coming true.

"We're having a baby," you repeated with a smile.

"I love you, (Y/N) Diggs," he told you, the grin still on his face.

"And I love you, Daveed Diggs."