Chapter 38

Update!

Happy Holidays (I know, early, BUT HAPPY CHRISTMAS OR MERRY HANUKKAH

~~~~~~

"Good. That's how you can kill, or at least immobilize a god for more than a few hours." Haden finishes.

We nod and I tuck the dagger he gave me into my back pocket.

"Split time?" questions Nile.

Haden nods, his gaze hooded and detached.

See, after we slept, Haden gave us all daggers that can immobilize gods. We were attacking the rebel's base today... Why? Well... Tonight is the Couples' Ball.

'What's that got to do with anything?' You may be thinking. Well... My father decided who the guards were for each of the schools as he said he would at the Meeting of the Mighties. If my father is the rebellion leader, and he's choosing the 'guards'... well... Let's just say the Couples' Ball won't end with a kiss for that lucky girl.

I step forward and release a heavy sigh, "Well friends. This may be the last time we see each other." A dense pause. "But... I want to say, these last couple months, well... they've been the best I've had in ages. Who ever thought that Mighty gods could be fun! Heh..." A silence. "Thank you. I love you all very much and thank you for the experience."

"Aw Eva." Sophie jumps me, clamping down around my waist. I could feel her tears and the emotion that decided her actions. I feel as my own eyes start to sting. I squeeze them shut and embrace her back. Suddenly, another pair of hands goes around us and sobs fill the crushed space. "I love you guys too!" Cries Venus, joining our embrace.

Dillan was next, joining in the crushing. Then Nile cuddles into us. Zlec enfolds us with his arms. Caleb jumps in. It was a last hug. The last hug before the end.

I look toward Haden to see him glowering at us. I grab his arm and pull him in. He yelps but then accepts his fate as Nile and Caleb trap him in.

We stay there. The wind brushes through our hair as if whispering what Fate will bring.

Haden was the first to break away. He dusts himself off, "I shall see you all in the nighttime, hopefully. May you stay well."

"You too." We all murmur.

"Dillan. Let's go. We have no a moment to waste!" commands Haden and snaps open his wings. Dillan waves to us and then Haden lifts him and they shoot off into the sky. It was about 1 pm by now and the sun was high and hot on Annabelle's destroyed house.

Annabelle had left after the destruction for she sensed my mother somewhere in the forest and was going to get her to safety. Haden taught us how to use a certain dagger of his to immobilize gods and goddess. We constructed a plan for infiltrating my father's building and decided it was time to end the rebellion.

Each of us was in a squadron.

"Come on Venus." Nile beckons. She walks over and he wraps his arms around her before both go jumping into the river and disappearing.

"Sophie! This way! There is a sky lift nearby. It'll take us up the mountain and then I can get us pretty close to town." Zlec yells and Sophie goes running after him as both enter the forest.

"You ready sis?" Caleb's voice an awfully solemn. I give a small smile, "As ready as I'll ever be."

Our plan decided that we would, when finished with our duties in the rebel base, we'd return to the outside world to a restaurant across the street from my father's building.