Chapter 39

I celebrate New Years, so

Update today and SUNDAY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We jump from building to building like professional parkourers, our wings acting as brakes to our knees. The darkness of the night matched our dark clothing as we snuck closer.

We stopped at the short apartment building next to my father's towering business complex. My brother and I creep over to the little wall that surrounded the edge of the roof, hiding from the security cameras.

Caleb makes a stop motion with his hand then points to figures below. Tiny ant like figures walk out of the building, laughing and locking shut the building behind them. I notice one looking around in suspicion with his eyes stopping where Caleb and I were hidden. I tense. The person looks away. I narrow my eyes.

The two men walk from the street, turning into a different block. Caleb flicks his chin in another direction and my eyes follow. I see two figures, male and female, dressed in all black rush to the building. I watch as they pry open an air vent at the side of the building and slip inside.

We wait. Soon after, 'rooow', all the lights power down. Darkness suddenly eats the building as even the outside lights dim out.

Movement happens in front of the building. My eyes snap towards it to see another two figures in all black dash to the building. One does something to the doors and both slip inside. My stomach clenches, waiting for the wailing security bells.

Silence and the sounds of a busy city. Caleb flicks his head again and stands. I follow. He goes to the opposite edge and snaps open his wings. With a powerful surge, he shoots upwards. I gulp, Our turn.

My feet echoed my pounding heart as I go to the opposite edge. Each footstep feeling heavier and heavier.

I look up at the ginormous building. Heights! Heights!! HEIGHTS!!!

I squeeze my eyes shut, snap open my wings, and thrusts down. My feet leave the ground and my stomach drops. Another surge and I go higher. The wind captures my wings and I go shooting forward. My stomach goes to my throat with another surge shooting me up six feet. A rhythm takes my wings as I go higher and higher and finally ending up at level with my father's roof. The clouds hung just barely above us. I land and wheeze. I did it... just don't look down.

My eyes go to Caleb who was already opening the door to the entrance of the building. Tingles fill my fingertips. "Come on!" He ushers in a whisper. My steps quicken though they felt like lead.

The dark stairway was lit with emergency green lights and our steps echo as we clamber down.

"In here!" whispers Caleb and opens the door named 'Boss Suite'.

He slips inside and I surge after, the door shutting behind me.

"Shit." His voice was no longer in a whisper.

My half-dead heart stops.

We were in the secretary's room. The room I was forced to wait in for my father. The room that joined the secret bedroom my father had in this building.

But now, we were surrounded. Five Greatly gods created a dangerous prison wall of guards. But in front, inside the U-shaped wall-of-guards, stood a woman.

"Severa." Hisses Caleb. A flicker of anger sparks into me.

The female smirks, putting a confident hand on her hip, "My my, isn't it my little thief."