hate & basketball

*12 years earlier*

Young Jelisa shuffled onto the snowy basketball court of her neighborhood, her friends right behind her.

"Why did you agree to this, Jelisa?" her best friend, Cody, asked with a huff. The snow falling was getting into her thick hair and she was already upset.

"Because Will always thinks I'm a loser," Jelisa retorted with a frown, "he thinks he's cool just 'cause he lives on the better side of town."

"Jelly, momma said to never give into him," her then thirteen year old brother Max stated, "just because he's rude doesn't mean you have to stoop to his level." He was older but always stuck by her side.

"Exactly, so let's turn around--"

"Where are you going, Mandy?" Jelisa stepped in front of her friend and neighbor, Amanda Moore, "you and me were both talkin' trash. If you turn on me you better sleep with one eye open--"

"Well, well, well," Jelisa cursed and turn around to see her nemesis, William Coleman, approach their group with his own. He was mostly friends with guys, and his little sister swore she was tough, but Jelisa could simply pluck her shoulder and she'd cry. "Jelly Bean."

"Squilliam," she crossed her arms and grimaced at him.

"I call you Jelly Bean because your chubby and disgusting," he explained slyly.

"And I call you Squilliam because you have a big nose and a nasty unibrow to match."

"Oooh," everyone cooed at their interaction, knowing Jelisa was tough and so was William. They were both hard-headed.

"Shut up," he told his own group and made a face, "YALL 'posed to be on my side."

"That shit was funny, man," one of his friends cackled. Jelisa couldn't remember his name but she knew they were the closest out of them all.

"Shut up," he replied in a harsher tone, "let's play this dumb game."

"And prove girls are better than boys?" Jelisa snapped.

"No, ugly. To prove boys are better," he took the ball from his friend and shoved it in Jelisa's chest, "you check first, shrimp."

By the time the game was coming to an end, it was dusk and the streetlights hadn't come on yet. The girls were up by one -- thanks to a bomb move by Jelisa -- but no one had hit twenty one points yet.

"Ow!" Jelisa fell to the ground when she was bumped in the shoulder by one of William's dumb friends, "you fouled me!"

"Nuh-uh!" he replied and backed up, "you're just clumsy."

"And you're ugly--"

"Hey, hey," William stopped them both from arguing and walked up, "just give her the shot. I doubt she would make it anyway."

"Dummies," Jelissa muttered and dribbled the ball. Everyone lined up and watched her try for the shot.

"Shoot your shot, Jelly Bean," William smirked but she paid him no mind. They were already winning and now he was just provoking her.

Right when she let the ball go, a big ball of snow hit her face and made her scream.

"What the heck!" Jelisa wiped her eyes of the muddy snow and felt the tears prick her eyes, "ouch. William!"

"What happened?"

"You threw it, I know you did," she cried out in pain. Her eyes were open when the dirty mixture hit her face. And now her eye was getting irritated.

"It slipped!"

"You're an idiot," she dusted herself off with the help of her brother, who was worried about her in the first place.

"You didn't make the shot so--"

"Ugh!" she rubbed her eyes of the snow but it was getting worse, so bad she actually started crying.

"Wait, Jelisa--"

"Don't touch me!" she moved away from William, "I've never met someone so mean in my life. Who raised you?"

"I--"

"Don't ever talk to me again!" she grabbed the basketball and threw it at his face, hitting him square on the nose.

Jelisa walked off he court with her friends and brother behind her, never to speak to William Coleman ever again.

I'm super excited for this story because it's not Zayn and I promise I won't delete it lmao

edit: I definitely deleted this after two days lmaoooo I'm a joke😂😂 I also changed the name because...yeah. I love the song.

and this is my idea and my idea only so don't steal it or I'll chop you up and feed you to ya family on Easter Sunday.