acrylic nails & beef stew

Jelisa tapped her mid-length acrylic nails against the table. She waited for Cody to sit beside her, putting her own set of new nails under the light to dry them.

"I like that, Cody," she crossed her legs and looked at the design on her middle fingernail.

"Thank you, honey," Cody grinned, wiggling her fingers, "I don't want to be too flashy while at work, but ya know...I wanted like some color."

"Is that a plum or an indigo? It looks like both."

"It is. I forgot what color she said but I damn sure wanted it," Cody sighed, "what did you get?"

"William picked it out for me. It's like a forest green, but he said he liked matte, so," she looked at her now dry nails, "I like them, actually."

"He's honestly the best color picker. Remember those yellow ones I got last month? D said that William told him what color to get."

"He didn't!"

"He did!" Cody laughed, "said he was like, 'trust me man. You won't regret it.' Man, D is kinda bad at picking colors."

"That neon pink he told you to get," Jelisa grimaced, "hideous."

"Fucking, shit brown," Cody rolled her eyes, "browns are pretty but that shit he--nope."

Jelisa giggled at her friend, looking up just in time to see her boyfriend walking in, looking around before meeting her eyes. He smiled, strolling towards her.

"Hey."

"Hey," she kissed him and looked at what was in his hands, "you're cold."

"As hell. Hey, Cody."

"Hey Will."

He sniffled, handing Jelisa a bag of takeout, "I got you extra queso, but they ran out of guac."

"Aw man," she pouted, taking the bag and looking through it, "thank you. You're headed to work?"

"Yeah. I'm a little late but--"

"Wil, I wouldn't have asked you to get me food if you were running behind."

"Nah, it's good, babes. You need to eat."

"That is precious," Cody gushed.

"Oh shut it, Cody."

"We got a game tonight, so I won't be home until like ten or eleven," William adjusted the cap on his head and hiccuped, "you mind making me some soup tonight?"

"No, not at all. You sound sick now."

"Thank you," he leaned down to kiss her again, "I love you."

"I love you too. Bye."

"See ya Cody," he briskly walked out of the salon and down the street.

Cody turned to Jelisa, a hand on her chest. "A man."

"My man," she said proudly with her tongue out, "it's kind weird how things escalated after we said we loved each other. Like...I'm not even complaining because it's him."

"I love this, Lisa," she grinned, "I'm glad you two are so happy."

"Yeah," she sighed dreamily, "I told him I was gonna have his babies last week."

"Are you pregnant?" Cody whisper shouted.

"No, stupid! I just told him. But you know how a nigga nuts in you so good that even the pill and Plan-B got you second guessing shit? So yeah."