barbershops & joseph

Jelisa got out of her car, closing the door and walking down the sidewalk. It was windy outside, which was why she wore a short tan trench coat, but it was also seventy two degrees, so she had a crop too and leggings on underneath.

Sunday was the day, and her father's barbershop was open early in the morning for anyone who needed a quick trim and whatnot before church. The place had been going on for about twenty six years, around the time Jelisa's older brother was born.

Her dad loved the shop, it was like his own man cave but not at home. He was an outstanding barber, barely hitting fifty and still paying attention to detail.

Jelisa came not only to see her dad, but she worked here sometimes. He put pressure on his kids to know how to do certain things, and that included hair and working on cars. Her brother didn't like it that much, but Jelisa was all for it.

"Hey, y'all," she greeted everyone in the shop when she strolled in.

"Lisa! My girl!" Johnny Gray, a treasured client and her dad's best friend, sat in a corner and greeted her happily.

"Mr. Gray, how are you?" she smiled, ignoring anyone trying to stare at her ass through the coat. This was a barbershop, and men did what men did, she couldn't help it and she also didn't really care. Jelisa been knew she was fine.

"I'm, good, I'm good," she bent down and hugged him, "your daddy's in the back getting ready."

"It's a full house," she looked at all the seats being occupied by little boys and teenagers, meaning she was going to be working today. Jelisa walked into the back room, greeting a few people before spotting her dad, Joseph, putting his smock on. "Father!" she sang.

"Hey, Jeli!" he grinned happily before hugging and kissing her cheek, "how are you, baby girl?"

"I'm fine, I haven't seen you since yesterday," she smiled back and took her jacket off, "you going to church today?"

"I sure am," he grabbed a smock from the closet and gave it to her, "you got a lot of kids to deal with out there."

"I know," Jelisa frowned, tying the garment in the back and looking at her butt. It seemed more out there whenever she was here. Maybe it was just her nerves.

"I got you stationed up already."

"I saw," they both walked out and Jelisa already had a little boy in her seat, "hey, Damion! How are you?"

"I'm good," he grinned, both his front teeth missing.

"That's good. What do you want today?"

"Just a line up, please?"

"No problem," she draped a cap over him and got out her supplies.

After the barbershop, Jelisa and her father went to church in her car.

"How's your mom?" he asked, leaning back in the seat as she drove into the parking lot.

"She's great. Said your date with her was fantastic," she smiled at him.

Jelisa's parents were separated, not exactly divorced, but for the last five years they sort of fell off. Granted, they still loved each other dearly, but for some reason their romance had been lost. Her mom was going through menopause, and Joseph was going through a midlife crisis, so maybe that was what happened.

But now, they were rekindling their love. They were still in separate rooms of the house but it was all good. They loved each other a lot, and a divorce was expensive, and Jelisa was more or less excited for when they were going to renew their vows later this year.

"I try," he chuckled, getting out and fixing his blazer, "we haven't slept in the same bed since last week, I thought there was something wrong."

"You're fine, dad," she rolled her eyes and walked behind other people who were going in the church.

"Is that that boy from elementary school?"

Oh no.

Jelisa turned, seeing William with his mom getting out of the car. He looked fine as hell, a turntleneck and a gold cross chain and a blazer with slim dress pants. Sheesh.

"Forgive me father," she whispered before speaking up and confirming who it was, "William, dad?"

"Yeah, y'all still talk?"

"He's actually back in town for good, I think," she pondered, "we reconnected a few weeks ago and cleared the air."

"That's good," he pat her back and nodded tot he usher holding the door open. Joseph wasn't as protective as most people assumed, Jelisa was a daddy's girl, and she grew up mostly around boys or learning things her brother didn't want to from him. Joseph trusted her to take care of herself, but there was no doubt he was willing to fight when she came home at nine years old with a swollen red eye and mud on her face. He was livid.

(He legit loaded his shotgun that night, and everyone had to calm him down).

"Go find a seat, honey, I'm going to use the restroom."

"Okay," she spotted their family row, which consisted of her grandma at he end, followed by her mom, little cousins and uncles, and now Jelisa. She waved happily to her mother before Joseph sat on the other side of her. Jelisa scooted closer to a nephew while someone else sat on the other side.

"Lisa."

"William," she smiled, "how are you?"

"I'm great, how are you?"

"Same. Hi, Mrs. Coleman," she leaned forward and greeted his mother, Theresa.

"Hi, Jelisa, dear!" she smiled warmly, "how have you been? I hope William apologized for his behavior all those years ago."

"Mom..." he groaned, rolling his eyes.

"Hush up, boy," she slapped him.

"It's fine," Jelisa sat up, "he apologized and I accepted."

"Good."

The music started and everyone was instructed to stand. Jelisa got up while William slowly followed, most likely looking at her ass in the dress.

"What are you doing?" she whispered as everyone sang from the hymn book.

"Just looking," he leaned back and raised his brows.

"You're so bold, huh?"

"You know it," he smirked and turned toward, not noticing Jelisa's blush.

this was boring but I promise its better in like...two more chapters...actually the next one I think

whatever, just keep reading