thanks & giving

Jelisa had become comfortable with William's family in a matter of minutes.

One moment she was muttering a few words and not always making direct contact, then the next she was having a full on open discussion with her boyfriend's relatives in the living room. It was kinda weird, her attitude just switched out of nowhere and she got a little more confident. Maybe it had something to do with everyone's politeness. They were very similar to her own family in a way, so she kinda felt at home.

She was sitting on the couch with William, their bodies close because yes, she was a little cold and yes, she ate enough for her own family so she was getting sleepy.

"Good?" Will asked -- again -- while his family was going on and on about something back in the day.

"Mhm," she grabbed his hand and rubbed over his knuckles, "are you?"

"Definitely."

"Good."

He kissed her temple. "I think my family likes you."

"Maybe because it's a pity party from when you almost made me go blind."

"Lisa," William groaned, "every time you bring this up you get even more wild."

She giggled, looking at his lips. "Thanks for inviting me, baby."

"It's nothing," he smiled back at her, rubbing her back, "I mean, I'd think it was about that time our parents get more familiar with us."

"Right. But...I dunno if my mom is so happy about you being my boyfriend, she went crazy when you went to the party as my fake boyfriend."

"She'll come around, I guess."

"And if not."

"Then what's that got to do with me?" he replied, tilting his head, "I'm doing what I need to."

"A smart baby."

"I guess."

"Can I kiss you?"

"It's 'may I?' and yes, just...my family will make this weird so I suggest we pretend to get food or something."

"I need a drink then," she got up and excused herself into the kitchen, there were anfew people in there getting food and such, but that was enough for her. Jelisa  poured a cup of moscato and took a sip.

William walked in a few moments after, looking irritated.

"What's wrong?"

"My dad's here," he leaned against the counter, "and my mom is so excited."

"And you aren't, of course," Jelisa observed. William and his father didn't get along so great. First of all, he left when Will was only six, and made a few appearances until high school, when he noticed William was getting looked at for a professional basketball career -- he didn't get scouted, but he was bomb.

Obviously he was being used, so they got into it all, arguing and physically fighting. His mother was headstrong until just recently, realizing she was too old -- not really, and she was fine -- to hold grudges.

William, on the other hand, just wanted the man to leave his family alone.

Jelisa got on her tippy toes and kissed his bottom lip. He smiled. "Focus on me."

"I guess."

"William Od--"

"Shut the fuck up, Jelisa," he laughed, kissing her again, "I honestly hate telling you shit."