running & dates

"Jelisa, wait up, God," Cody ran after her friend, a tired look on her face.

"Cody, I'm getting you back in shape, okay? Not that you need it, but you said you wanted this," Jelisa stopped and turned around, heaving a huge sigh.

"I did, but..." Cody sat on a bench and lied down, her arms splayed out carelessly, "so much work."

Jelisa giggled, hopping on the bench and looking down at her friend. "Seriously. Maleek is two now, there's no such thing as baby weight anymore."

"I know," Cody yawned and sat up a little, "but, his dad is taking him to Myrtle Beach for a bit. A little father son time, and I just thought--"

"You still like him," Jelisa stated, already knowing what she was getting at, "I know."

"I do," she frowned, "and it's not like we didn't discuss being together again, we're always friends, so. I just don't know how to tell him."

"Try saying, 'hey, I still love you'."

"Okay," she replied in a goofy tone, rolling her eyes, "ugh, I'm such a sap. I seriously love that man, Lisa."

"Then tell him--"

"Jelisa," she heard a voice singing behind her.

"Hey," she greeted William -- who was just coming out of a record store -- with a smile, "and I know that's not Bobby Sherwood, looking uglier than the last time I remember."

"Ha, ha," he rolled his eyes while Will sat on the bench beside Cody, "Jelisa, mm, still fine as ever."

She snorted. "You're still corny and ain't shit. Don't try me."

"Cody Brackston," William announced formally, "wassup, girl?"

"Hi, William," she smiled at him and crossed her ankles, "I haven't seen y'all in so long, it's weird. You just don't have a uni anymore."

"Y'all are terrible," he grimaced when Jelisa started laughing, "still."

"What are you guys up to?"

"Nothing," William leaned back on the bench, "y'all exercising or some shit?"

She scoffed. "I don't exercise, but Cody wants to lose baby weight."

"What baby weight? What baby?"

"Shut up, Bobby," Cody rolled her eyes, "I have a son you guys."

"Really?" William replied with raised brows, "how old is he? What's his name?"

"His name is Maleek and he's twenty seven months."

"Oh my God, Cody," Jelisa laughed, covering her mouth and leaning against a lamp post near the bench.

"Mothers," William rolled his eyes and looked up at Jelisa, "are we still on?"

"Yes," she sighed, "and I'm gonna win."

"What are y'all doing?" Bobby asked with raised eyebrows.

"Playing basketball. One on one, so if he throws dirt in my eye--"

"Jelisa--"

"--I'll know it was him."

"What are the stakes?" She asked, dribbling the basketball from one hand to another.

"Hm," William sat on the bench in front of her and actually thought it out, "what are the stakes?"

"I got one," she smiled while he tied his shoe then stood to his feet, "if you lose, you have to do my yard work for the whole summer."

"Yard work? You forgot how we were raised, didn't you? Too easy."

"Then it shouldn't be a problem for me kicking your butt."

"Okay, okay," he chuckled and backed up, "when you lose--"

"As if--"

"When you lose, you...have to go on a date with me," William took the ball from her and spun it on his finger.

Jelisa gasped. "A date? With you? Are you serious?"

"Nervous, Jelly Bean?" he leaned closer while she just pushed his face away, making him laugh, "are you scared I'm going to win?"

"Fuck no," she put her hands on her hips and kept a straight face, "doing yard work is a great way to stay in shape."

Jelisa hope to God she won.

To say Jelisa and William were basically matched was probably an understatement. After one got a basket, the other did. Defense and offense was ridiculous, because they were basically playing themselves.

And let's not discuss how Jelisa's ass was basically on this mans dick the whole time. That was how you guard, right?

But in the end, Jelisa won by one point, she was the first to twenty one.

"Jelisa stays undefeated!" she cheered, throwing up gang signs and sticking her tongue out.

"Whatever," William caught the ball from the basket and kept dribbling, "you cheated."

"That sounds so familiar," she joked, looking at him, "make sure you wear gloves while picking weeds out of my garden."

"Yeah, sure," he rolled his eyes and grinned. They both walked to their cars side by side.

Then Jelisa had a thought.

"Yes."

"Yes, what?" William asked, looking down at her.

"Yes," she stopped at her car, which was beside William's, "yes as in, yes, I'll go on a...a date. With you."

"With me?" he muttered in disbelief, "but I lost--"

"Yeah, but," she shrugged and adjusted the cap on her head, "you're not so bad, Will. And I feel bad for kicking your butt."

"Oh, please it was one point, Jelisa."

"But did I win?" she cupped her hand around her ear, "that's what I thought. Just know, I give you a hard time on purpose."

"What's the purpose?" he asked, stroking his beard and leaning against the car. Wow.

"Because..." she couldn't think, "because you deserve it, Will. And so do I."

"Makes sense."

"Totally, so," he was sweating through his shirt from the game and Jelisa was so here for it, "I'll see you later."

"Well," William cleared his throat, "it would totally be great if I had your number or something instead of making plans through our lunches. Just to set up the date."

"Just for that," she giggled, taking out her phone, "and sometimes you can text me for other reasons, too."

"I mean, I guess."

"You're terrible!" she watched him put his number in while she did the same to his. "Here."

"Thank you," William was grinning wider, staring at his phone, "actually, I'll message you later, just because."

"And I'll be looking forward to it," she smiled, getting in her car.

omg issa date