parties & heebiejeebies

"I haven't been to a party in ages," Jelisa stretched on her tippy toes to grab shoes from her closet.

"And it's a Bobby party," William commented, his body lying flat on her bed and voice muffled from the pillows, "it's his birthday, too."

"Jesus," she hopped down from the stool, "I remember his high school parties and trying to sneak back in the house before anyone noticed."

"And hiding the fact you were completely out of it," he propped his head up with his hand, "I barely saw you at his parties."

"Because I stayed near the kitchen? The back door?"

"Of course. Smart kid."

"Always," she picked up a second pair of shoes, "okay, babe. Which one?"

"Hmm," he sat up and crossed his legs under him on the bed, "what are you wearing again?"

"Should I just change first and then ask?"

"Yeah, let's do that."

"Okay," Jelisa took her shirt off and grabbed a bandeau bra, "I like these."

"Same."

"Stop looking at my bitties," she giggled, pulling the bra on with her favorite pair distressed jeans, "look at 'em."

"Love that thigh action, baby."

"Thank you," Jelisa grabbed a plaid button up, "done. I look cute right?"

"The cutest," he licked his lip, "and I like those shoes...boots? Shoes--nah, the black Timbs, dawg! Oh shit! Fuck!"

"Stop it."

"Put them on!" he pulled his phone out while she did as he said, "you goin' on Snap, my nigga."

"Can you fucking stop?" but she don't want him to, her giggles and her wide smile said so, "William!" Now he was on the bed, pointing the camera to her. "Get down!" she stepped toward him but he backed up to the wall.

"Look at my baby, y'all," he gassed, "shit I'm talmbout."

"William," she just smiled, her cheeks hurting.

"You look good, babe," his accent was coming out and she loved it, "my girl shnackable, son."

"Thank you," Jelisa bit her lip, "stop I wanna kiss you."

"You wanna kiss the kid?"

"The kid," she got on the bed and kissed his cheek, "King of gassing."

"Always. And I'm saving all these damn videos. Look like a full course meal."

"Shut up," she kissed his lips and hopped down, "this is my new room and I already have shoes on the bed."

"You ready to go yet?"

"Yeah, hold on," she spritzed herself with perfume and grabbed her keys and stuffed any small essentials in her bra. "Can I keep this stuff in ya car?"

"Yeah, I'll put it in the glove compartment."

"Sweet," they both left her room, "I just wanna warn you, I love alcohol, okay?"

"I know. And I'ma let you know I gotchu. And I feel like I'm gonna love drunk Lisa."

"Everyone loves Drunk Lisa."

Jelisa was possibly on her fifth of sixth cup of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, her favorite drink. The party was honestly so fun, even when she was sober at first. She knew a lot of people -- who knew high school friends really stuck together? -- and more specifically, she wasn't nervous or afraid to be by herself.