beaches & besties

After weeks of gloomy weather and wishing she had taken some sort of vacation before the fall, Jelisa found herself at a nearby beach with the love of her life. And although this was a great escape for the moment, it was hot as hell, but at least they were in the shade.

"How many kids you think pissin' in the water right now?" William wondered aloud, eating one of her leftover fries.

"At least all of them," Jelisa replied, watching people of various ages play in the salty water. She wasn't feelin' it today, plus, all this time being with her fiancé, she still barely knew how to swim. "Nasty."

He chuckled, squinting his eyes at the wind. "I hate public pools and shit. Can't trust everybody in the water."

"Right," she agreed, sipping from her open beer bottle and crossing her legs. She wore a baby blue bikini set—William's favorite one—and her engagement ring shining in the sunlight. She recently dyed her hair red so it was extra bright and extra cute at the moment.

"Do you work tomorrow, babes?" he asked.

"Half a day. You?"

"Nah. I wanted you to come with me to look around UNC, but it's cool."

Jelisa frowned. "UNC? Why, you're looking for a new job?"

"Nah I already got the job, I just wanna look around."

"Wait, babes," she sat up a little while William put a hand under his chin, waiting for the questions, "What?"

"Nothing crazy happened, it's all over with, I just didn't like how they ran things at Duke and they knew I didn't. So the head encouraged me to apply for the opening at UNC. And I got it."

"And you didn't tell me because...?"

"Because...I don't know. A lot of shit has been going on and I just wanted to feel okay for two seconds."

"I mean, I guess that makes sense. I'd still like to know."

"I know," he replied quietly, "like, I do understand Duke is like, one of the best basketball teams out there, but like, they're students first. The coaches try to get the kids to reschedule final exams and shit."

"Oh, no, nah," she scoffed, "I'll be damned."

"Exactly. So I'm going to UNC now. It's like five minutes away."

"That's good then," she commended, "I did wanna ask what was up with you."

"You know me so well," he smiled happily.

"Well, we're getting married. I'd like to think I know you more than I know myself."

"Shit, you prolly know me more than I do."

"I know," she said proudly, slapping his hand when he reached for another fry, "stop."

"Is that Sanai?" William asked, spotting the British girl and also distracting Jelisa from her food.

"My babies!" Sanai yelled when she saw Jelisa and William sitting in the shade.

"Bro!" Jelisa got up and hugged her friend, rocking them back and forth, "I barely see y'all anymore."

"We literally stay in our homes bothering each other," Sanai rolled her eyes, "plus, I like my house, it's cute."

"I figured. You guys are usually out somewhere."

"Where'd you get that swimsuit, love?" she asked.

"Pretty Little Thing!"

"Really? That's where I got mine," Sanai gestured to the bikini that was almost the same color as her skin.