coffee & maleek

She strolled into the diner from last night, seeing the waitress that previously assisted her and grinning.

"Hello, I take it everything was fine?"

"Yeah, no, it wasn't," Jelisa shook her head sadly, "I'm having lunch with him, for some reason."

"Oh," she muttered with a slight smile.

"What section are you in?"

"Right here," she gestured to booths in a far corner and a few small tables, "if you want to sit."

"Of course, thank you."

"No problem," she set menus down and brought her notepad out, "I guess you want the same drinks from last night?"

"Yes, thank you."

"And...do you know what the other person would want?"

Jelisa thought. "Oh, yeah, I think he'd want a black coffee with half a pint of Clorox inside. I think that would be great."

"Oh, my God," she laughed loudly and walked off. What she didn't know was that Jelisa was serious. She looked down at her phone to check the time, knowing she was late but thinking about how late William was going to be.

He entered the diner twelve minutes later, a baseball cap on his head and a bomber jacket. Jelisa kept looking at her phone, not bothering to make her noticeable by him. She didn't want to be here in the first place.

"Hey."

"Hi," she looked up at him with no emotion on her face, "I got you a coffee. It should be coming out."

"Thanks," Will sat down across from her and coughed into his arm, "how are you?"

"Fine."

"That's good," he nodded, "I'm fine, by the way."

"I don't care."

"Jelisa," he sighed and leaned back, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"Thanks," she smiled sarcastically and clasped her hands, "I'm done being mad at you, William. I don't care anymore."

"Then what do you have against me? Is it Mandy--"

"Amanda and I have had our own problems long before you two started dating. That's a fact."

"Here you go," the waitress set their beverages down in their respective places, "would you guys like to order now or should I come back?"

"Come back, please," Jelisa replied quietly, "I'm about to leave anyway, maybe he'll want something."

"Okay," she smiled at them both and walked away.

"You won't even give me a chance," Will said with a frown.

"I'm not entitled to, sweetheart."

"Jelisa, please. I...I'm sorry I hurt you all those years ago and I'm sorry I was so mean to you. I had a lot more going on back then and I took it out on the wrong people. I apologize for throwing that snowball a--"

"It was barely snow," she pointed out, "it was mud. That mudball gave me pinkeye."

"That's why you weren't at school for three days?" he asked incredulously, "your friends didn't tell me anything."

"You asked about me?" Jelisa questioned in shock.

"Yeah, duh. I felt bad. Mandy was about to tell me but they told her to shut up."

"Of course she would," she rolled her eyes and scoffed, "her legs stay as open as her mouth."

"You're right," William admitted with a bitter chuckle, taking a gulp of his black coffee.