mama & drama

"I dunno what to do, Lisa," William whined, lying his head in her lap.

Jelisa sighed, rubbing his smooth back and thinking about everything he had told her. William arrived at Joseph's home upset and Jelisa made it clear that they weren't driving anywhere. She wanted to actually talk to him—more likely listen—with no type of distractions.

"Years and years of back and forth. All for what? She still loves him," he scooted up more so his torso was in her lap and his arms rested under his chin on the bed, "What I gotta do to make her realize this shit?"

"Well, I think—"

"Joseph, do not—" they heard a woman's voice outside the door.

"Neice, they're fine, just lemme check—"

"Come in, dad, oh my God," Jelisa rolled her eyes, still rubbing her fiancé's back.

"Good," he opened the door and both him and Neicey were standing there, "how y'all doin'?"

"Garbage," William replied solemnly.

"That's great, son. Anyway," he sat on the bed while Neicey looked at him in a sorta playful yet disapproving way, "y'all coming to church tomorrow?"

"Yes, father."

"Great!" he clapped, standing up, "I'm cooking Sunday dinner. What y'all want?"

"Surprise me," Jelisa challenged.

"Hush ya mouth, idiot—"

"Joseph!" Neicey crossed her arms.

"What?"

"Leave," she laughed, pushing him, "I'm sorry he's on a sugar rush right now."

"Joseph," William chuckled, "what did you eat?"

"Some chocolate—"

"Neicey don't ever give him Reese's or Skittles," Jelisa told her, "he's a child."

"I'm not—"

"See I thought he was just craving chocolate or something," Neicey said, pursing her lips when Joseph kept snapping his fingers as if he was ready to go somewhere.

Joseph stopped fidgeting and licked his lip. "You're my favorite piece of chocolate, dear."

"Stop it," Neicey giggled, slapping his chest and pulling him towards the door with her, "goodbye, kids!"

"Ugh," Jelisa gagged, "oh God, I'm calling the police."

"I wish I knew we were staying in Maryland longer," William sighed, staring ahead as the worship leader spoke. Church started promptly—not really—at eleven in the morning, and only the Lord knew when they'd get out.

"You'll be okay, babes," Jelisa pat his thigh, "it's not bad."

"But you know I go all out for Jesus," he frowned, looking down at his shoes, "also, why are me and Joseph the same size?"

"Skinny legends," she giggled.

"Shut up," William huffed, looping his arm on the back of the pew. He licked his lip and scratched his scruffy beard.

"Everyone's looking at us."

"'Cause, bitch, you're getting married."

"Not in the house of the lord!" Jelisa whispered, "we goin' to hell now."

"Oh, man," William put a hand to his head, "forgive me, Jesus."

"William," she shook her head at him and looked away. At the door, Jelisa's mother, Wanda entered and sat in the back pew on the other side.