Chapter 5

"Morning class" professor Snape said in his usual monotone voice, "good morning professor Snape" the students replied and sat down. "Today we will be making Pepper-Up potion but firstly, give me the correct description. Anyone?"

Camilla quickly raised her hand and professor Snape nods, "Pepper-Up Potion is a potion that cures the common cold. When drank, it has a side-effect that causes steam to come out of the drinker's ears for several hours."

"Correct. 5 points to Ravenclaw." "Yay. You gained us points." Cho whispered to Camilla. Camilla was sitting with Cho Chang, Samantha Halls, Aneth Powell, and a boy named Maven Carson who has fair skin, black hair and has gorgeous blue eyes. "To make things easier for those who don't know or just too lazy to read, If the potion is made successfully, the liquid will be orange in colour. The list of ingredients can be found in pages 136. You only have 45 minutes to brew this potion and do this individually. Start now."

Pepper-Up Potion

Potion information

Effect   

->Relieves and/or cures cold symptoms

Side effects   

->Causes steam to come out of the drinker's ears for a few hours

Characteristics   

->Orangish liquid in colour

Difficulty level   

->Beginner to Moderate

Known ingredients   

->1 Bicorn Horn

->1 Mandrake Root

->3 Sprigs of English Thyme

->Salamander Blood

->4 Fire Seeds

Camilla grabbed the ingredients and a cauldron. She placed her ingredients neatly and read the procedures. 1) Add 1 piece Bicorn Horn to the mortar. 2) Crush into a very fine powder using the pestle. 3) Add 2 pinches of the crushed Bicorn Horn to your cauldron. 4) Add the Mandrake Root to your cauldron. 5) Heat on medium for 10 seconds. 6) Add 3 sprigs of English Thyme to your cauldron.

"Oh my God! What's happening?!" Everyone's attention turned to Samantha, Camilla's eyes widened, Samantha's cauldron has flames inside it. "How did you put the fire seeds?!" Camilla asked, "i just added it!" "slowly?!" Samantha's eyes widened and Camilla sighed, "it's overheating! Out of the way" Camilla quickly fixed it and it stopped overheating but it was ruined. "What's going on here?" Samantha stuttered, "i-i inc-correctly p-put the f-fire seeds professor. It was my mistake." Snape looked at the girl, "and who stopped the overheating?" then all the people at Camilla's table looked at her, "Miss Devonshire?"

"Yes professor?" "how do you add fire seeds?" Camilla took a deep breath and answered, "Fire Seeds must be added slowly one at a time and at three second intervals to avoid overheating. In the event that a brew is overheated, it will scorch the brew and render it null, giving off a dark red vapour." all of the student's looked at them.

"Correct. 10 points to Ravenclaw. I hope everyone learned something from this since the book has no list of dangers. Continue." The Gryffindors and Ravenclaws went back to brew their potion and Camilla let out a sigh. She looked at Samantha and a frown was plastered on her face. "Hey. It's okay you know? at least this potion is not designed to explode when you have an error" She chuckled, "thanks Camilla but I know i'm gonna fail this class."