Chapter 8

My phone rang. I looked at the caller ID. A picture of the mad hatter popped up. Oh wait. That was Delancy with bedhead. I snickered. I had gotten that picture when she was staying the night once. I laughed so hard I cried.

I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

I heard her shush someone in the background. "Ames. How you doing?"

"Great. And you?"

"Oh Im doing dandy. Want to know why? Of course you do," She spewed at the speed of light. "So. Prince Mason, Mason not Maxon, so confusing. Well anyways. He asked me to go to dinner with him. And I'm not sure if it's a date or not? So I asked if I could bring someone along. And immediately thought of you. Sadly I didn't catch his face while he said yes, do I don't quite no yet. But if it isn't a date, I don't want to be like 'can't we go alone.'"

I sighed knowing where this was going.

"So I was wondering if you and Maxon could come along?" She asked.

Maxon?

"Why Maxon?" I asked.

"Well if it isn't a date, I don't want him hitting on you," she spoke like it was obvious. I guess maybe it was.

"I'll ask Maxon," I decided.

"To late. Already did. He was all like I'll go if America goes," Delancy said almost speaking to fast. "So...will you go?"

"Fine."

I heard squealing in the background. Strange. "Okay. Thank you so much America. Love you. Muah. Muah. Bu-bye."

What did I just get myself into?"

~oOo~

"I'm not wearing that?!" I screeched.

"Why not?" Marlee asked Inspecting the dress, and not finding an issue.

"Well. For one. I'm not going on a date. I'm strictly back up. And two. It's way to short."

"Oh come on America. I know your dad is the general of the Carolina army and Is on the verge of being prompted to the head of illeas guard. The whole country knows. And because I'm your best friend I also know you used to run laps with your dad. You got legs. Show them off," Marlee said like me having something to show made it okay to show it.

"I'll wear the dress," I sighed.

She smiled triumphantly and handed me the dress. It was a short pretty purple number with a short frilly skirt and a glittering accent belt. (At the top)
It was gorgeous, but it reminded me of a Barbie doll. And I was not some personal Barbie doll.

I came out of my closet.

"You looks amazing!" She squeaked. She ran over to begin fluffing my hair which she had curled. She stood back and admired my form with a raised eyebrow. She shook her head. This was the one hundredth time she had decided something was missing. A smile lit up he face.

She ran to my jewelry box and pulled out the first thing on display. My bracelet from Maxon. The one with real gold and real diamonds. The one that must of cost a fortune. The one that I'm afraid to wear.

She wrapped it around my wrist.

"Voila!" She announced. "Perfecto."

"I believe the last one was Spanish," I corrected.

"Whateves," she laughed and then pulled out a pair of kitten heels. Silver and glittery. She delicately lifted my foot and sat them into the satin. "You'll need the raise in height if your kissing anyone tonight."