Chapter 28

Song: Just a fool by Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton. Cover by Savannah Outen.

LISTEN TO THE SONG AT THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran out to the gardens and fell into a sobbing mess on a stone bench. The love of my life just proposed to me and I said no! How could anyone say no to Maxon Schreave?!

He is going to hate me. I did that in front of all of his friends and family. But he is going to be safe right? So it'll be okay. But I won't be."

I heard angry footsteps approaching me. I quickly wiped away any running mascara with the skirts of my dress and hastily wiped away my tears. I looked up and was met with angry Chocolate brown eyes.

"I thought you loved me," he accused.

"I do. I swear," I pleaded.

"Obviously not," he scoffed.

"Maxon, if you truly love me you'll listen," I choked out through my tears.

"I don't think I do love you. It's all been in my head," he reasoned angrily.

"Maxon–"

"No. stop. What was it that made you trick me?! The fame. The publicity," he laughed bitterly. "How could I ever think you actually loved me?"

I thought I heard him mutter 'she's way too good for me' but I ignored it.

"Maxon. I do love you. You have to understand. I didn't have a choice. They made me," I begged.

"Don't blame your problems on someone else," He cracked, his strong exterior starting to break.

"I want to marry you, but I can't," I attempted to reason.

"America. I can't handle this right now. You broke my heart and I-I-I I need you to go."

I looked at him with sad eyes. I knew this would happen but now that it actually is....

"Fine. I love you Maxon Schreave. Read the email," with that I stood up and tried to keep my dignity with mascara stain under my eyes.

I found myself at the Angeles airport twenty minutes later. Why is it that when ever I'm in an airport, I'm in a puffy yet elegant dress with tear stains on my face. It's just not right. People probably think I'm some crazy women who just ran out on Her fifth husband at the alter.

I ran up to the desk and the lady looked like she just saw pigs fly. She gasped and sputtered at my appearance and pushed her glasses up her nose.

"I need the soonest flight you have," I demanded.

"Dominica. Leaving in 10 minutes," She read off her computer. Dominica. It's on the other side of the country and it leaves soon. It's perfect.

"I'll take it."

~oOo~

I entered the small inn to yelling. It wasn't my ideal place to stay or my ideal way to be welcomed, but it was an inexpensive place. It wasn't that I couldn't afford a nice hotel. It was that I couldn't afford a nice hotel for as long as I'm planning on staying.