Took You Long Enough

Phil didn't mind that Dan was wearing his clothes, but it was the principle. He didn't even ask!

It started out subtly, in ways that Phil barely noticed. First it was socks, Phil would go downstairs to make himself a bowl of cereal, and there he'd run into Dan. One glance at Dan's feet and it was obvious to see that he was wearing Phil's socks. They went half way up his calf, although that fact was hidden by his sweatpants. The socks were bright and mismatched and clearly Phil's, who couldn't help wondering when Dan had gone into his room to steal his socks. He didn't say anything, of course, he just allowed it. After all, it was only socks, and it was also pretty cute that Dan was stealing his clothes, though Phil would never say that out loud.

After that it progressed, although only occasionally. Phil soon came to the conclusion that Dan was wearing his clothes when Phil wasn't around. He'd put his sweatshirt away in his closet only to come back and find it in a drawer. Phil began actively trying to catch Dan stealing or wearing his clothes. He'd stop by Dan's room at random times and tell Dan that he was coming home later than he actually was.

Once he came home from the grocery store (a late night run for oreos, a necessity) only to find Dan curled up on the couch, wearing Phil's sweatshirt. It was pulled over his hands and the hood was up over his head, his eyes closed lightly as he rested his head on his hands. It was already pretty late, so Phil decided to wake him up so he could go to his own bed. If he fell asleep on the couch he'd have a sore neck in the morning, and Phil knew how horrible that was.

"Dan," Phil whispered, shaking his shoulder lightly. Dan groaned, curling further into himself, making Phil giggle.

"Dan wake up," Phil said, shaking him again. This time Dan opened his eyes, blinking tiredly up at Phil. He got the urge to kiss Dan, but brushed it aside. He didn't want to ruin anything between them, even if Dan did look adorable in Phil's clothes.

"You want to go up to your room?" Phil asked quietly. He pushed the hood off Dan's face, and Dan blushed, realizing that he was still wearing Phil's sweatshirt. Phil grinned.

"Not really," Dan muttered, and he closed his eyes again, his head falling against Phil's arm. "Too tired."

"C'mon," Phil said, and dragged Dan to his feet, who stumbled and leaned against Phil. He laughed, wrapping his arm around Dan's waist and guiding him up the stairs and to his room. As they walk Dan pulls the sleeves of his (Phil's) sweatshirt over his hands.

Phil opened the door to Dan's room, and Dan collapsed on the bed, still wearing Phil's sweatshirt. He didn't say anything, just let him be. Phil knew the sweatshirt would be returned soon enough, it always was.

And the next morning when Phil woke up, it was hanging in his closest, good as new.

Phil knew that he would have to confront Dan about this eventually. It was the only logical thing to do, he couldn't continue to let Dan steal his belongings and pretend that he didn't notice. Sometimes he'd want to wear a certain shirt, but it would be missing, and so he'd assume Dan had it and he'd say nothing. Occasionally a particular item of clothing would go missing permanently, and Phil knew that Dan had no intention of returning it.

Phil paid hard earned money for those clothes, he couldn't just let Dan decide he wanted something and let him have it. Sometimes Dan wasn't even stealing his clothes. Sometimes it was other things, like his bed.

It had been a late night for Phil, and he'd stumbled into his room more than a little tipsy, only to find Dan asleep in his bed. He was hugging a pillow to his chest and had Phil's comforter wrapped around him like a burrito. Being in his less-than-sober state, Phil wasn't exactly sure what to think, other than that Dan was adorable, of course.