You're an All-Star

Summary: Dan moves to a new school, becomes the school slut, and meets a college kid named Phil.

Word Count: 1.2k

Genre: Song fic uwu

((((this exists because an anon dared me to okay))) (((im sorry in advance)))

~~

Well the years start coming and they don't start coming

Dan was seventeen years old when his parents decided it was time for a change. They ripped him from his roots and decided to head up to London for his last year of high school, as if being the new student during his last year was in any way a good idea. Dan realized, with a saddened clarity, that his parents must be absolute idiots. He already barely got out of the house due to lack of friends, what were they going to expect now? When he had absolutely none?

Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running

But it wasn't like Dan had a choice. They said something, and he did it, no questions asked. But at school... it was different.

Didn't make sense not to live for fun

At school he didn't care about the rules. He did what he wanted, when he wanted, and consequences be damned. It was his last year of high school, why should he give a fuck about anything?

And so he skipped classes. He skipped school. He smoked weed in the back parking lot and stole food from the school's kitchens. He kissed boys in bathrooms and fingered girls in closets. He talked to (and made out with) more people than he ever had at his last school, but exactly none of them were his friends.

Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

Dan was failing all his classes. Partially because he never turned in his work, and partially because he really didn't have much of a clue of what was going on in any of them. But Dan had a way to get around this, he was quite smart, after all.

Plenty of his teachers were young, and these teachers, he charmed. He was all smiles and smirks around them, all apologies while wearing slutty outfits, shirts that rode up his chest and jeans that sat inappropriately low on his hips. These teachers found ways to curve his grades, and somehow, Dan was passing his classes again.

For the older teachers, for the sadly straight teachers, Dan had to play different games. With these teachers it was tricks and lies, it was cheating and sneaking into their classrooms to change his grades himself. With these teachers he risked everything—and still got away with it.

So much to do, so much to see

But Dan didn't have time to be doing homework or sitting in class. He was young and in a brand new city—why should he waste his time at school? And so he didn't. He spent a lot of time in the city, prowling through the streets for cute boys and leaning over Starbucks' counters to flirt with the baristas (Dan, strangely enough, kept getting drinks for free).

It was on one of these such occasions that he met Phil Lester. Phil was a college student, living in the city, and he was most interested in Dan.

So what's wrong with taking the back streets?

Phil Lester was much cooler than Dan, and so it was only natural that Dan had to lie to him. Oh yeah, he was in college too—an entirely different dorm though. Oh? Yes I'm totally going to that party later tonight, wouldn't miss it!

You'll never know if you don't go

So Dan went. He'd never actually been to a party before. Back in his old school, he wasn't popular enough to get invited to one, and the few friends he did have weren't the kind to throw parties. And at this school... well, no one was interested in inviting him to parties either. They were only interested in one-offs in hidden corners or getting high when no one was around.

The party was loud. There were people everywhere, crowded against the walls and snaking through the crowds, laughing loudly and talking louder, shouting over each other as their alcohol induced brains argued good naturedly. Dan was only here to see Phil, but Phil wasn't to know that, and so Dan got a drink. And then he got another, because he was feeling quite loose after the first one.

You'll never shine if you don't glow

"Hey beautiful," a voice whispered in his ear, and Dan gasped, spinning around. It was Phil. He'd found Dan, somehow, through the thick of the crowd. Dan wouldn't have been able to find Phil—he was feeling very hazy indeed, and had it always been so hard to place one foot in front of the other?

"Phil," Dan breathed, his smile stretching wide across his face. He really, really liked Phil. Phil wasn't like those other kids at school—he didn't want to fuck him once and be done with it. He didn't even want to fuck him tonight really. He wanted to... to kiss this guy. And hug him, maybe.

"I'm flattered," Phil chuckled, lowly. Dan's eyes widened.

"Did I say that out loud?" he demanded, and Phil laughed, leaning forward to press his head against Dan's shoulder.

"I was only talking about your expression. Why, did you think something I might've wanted to hear?"

"Oh thank God," Dan breathed, and Phil laughed again. He pulled him closer, hooked his fingers in Dan's belt loops.

"I like you, Dan," he admitted. They'd only met a handful times—all at a Starbucks they frequented. Dan had flirted with him the first time, and the second time, Phil had agreed to sit down with him. And so had he the third and fourth and fifth time. And now here they were—at some college party, a college which Phil thought he attended.

"I like you too," Dan replied. Phil's eyes seemed to be glowing, they were so bright.

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play

"Do you want to come back to my place?" Phil asked, and Dan felt weak in the knees. Okay, maybe he did want to fuck Phil tonight. But not just tonight—many times after. Maybe they could make it a weekly kind of thing. Or daily. Kind of like they were dating.

Hey now, you're an all-star, get the show on, get paid

"Definitely," Dan breathed, and then they were rushing out the door.

"I only live a couple blocks down," Phil relayed, and they held hands as they walked, occasionally stopping to kiss for a moment or two. By the time they got to Phil's house, they were both antsy from waiting, and they couldn't even make it up to Phil's room. They ended up tumbling onto the couch, kissing and gasping into one another's mouths, pressing desperately against each other and moaning lowly in their throats.

And all that glitters is gold

Dan couldn't help it—he came in his pants, gasping and twitching. Phil found it hot, which he whispered into Dan's ear, and followed after him. They lay together then, sticky and sated and hot, their hair sweaty and in their eyes.

"Hey Phil," Dan said, into the dark and quiet of Phil's apartment.

"Yeah?"

"I'm not really in your college," he admitted. "I'm—I'm still in high school. My last year."

Phil's hand came up to rub at his back.

"I know, you idiot. You've been using your student discount to pay for your coffee."

Only shooting stars break the mold