A Grave Situation

Summary: In which Dan is dead, cold, and sick and tired or no one being able to see him - until someone can.

Word Count: 4.7k

Genre: angstyish fluff? just read it man

this is a birthday present for haleykinz on tumblr! go follow her if you're not *thumbs up emoji* (she's a great artist so!!)

At first, Dan hadn't known he was dead. He'd been extremely confused, and wasn't quite sure why he had woken up in a graveyard. The grass had been wet with morning dew, and he'd felt extremely cold, although he wasn't shivering, and he didn't have a single goose-bump. At the time, he'd felt mildly confused and curious about that, but what had struck him as more important was finding out why he'd woken up in a fucking cemetery.

Now, of course, Dan knew that being cold was normal, he was always cold. It was a constant discomfort and he could barely even remember what it felt like to be warm. He wondered what he must have done in his life to deserve this. He couldn't remember much of anything at all, only a blurry figure, maybe a friend, and a sense of something better than this. Still, he couldn't have been a good person, because there's no way good people end up suffering, spending their days wandering about, constantly surrounded by others yet always alone.

When he'd first woken up, he'd stomped out of the cemetery, angry and confused. He supposed that he'd remembered things about his life when he'd first woken up, as he could remember feeling vaguely angry at someone, and how could they let this happen to him, and had he been drunk last night? Or something like that. But anger, he could remember. It was hard to muster up any sort of emotion now, other than the occasional sadness or despair. Usually he just felt empty. Alone.

Dan had stepped out into the street, and suddenly forgotten where he was headed. Had it been his house? No, an apartment! Or maybe a flat? He'd continued to walk, confusion clouding his mind as with every step he took, memories were forgotten. He'd forgotten what he was angry about and couldn't even remember who he'd been mad at. Suddenly he'd just felt lost, and he wasn't sure where to go, or where he even was, and he needed directions immediately!

He'd asked the very first person he saw, a business man walking quickly, dressed in a suit with a brief case at their side.

"Excuse me sir, uh..." Dan trailed off as the man marched right past him. He figured that he was in a hurry, maybe he was about to miss his train. No problem, there were plenty of people in... a city of some sort? He was sure he lived in a city, but which one again? Either way, there were a lot of people around, and any of them could give him directions to... somewhere.

"Ma'am," Dan tried again, stopping in front of a woman, eyes locked on her phone. "I've accidentally gotten lost, if you don't mind telling me which street we're on?" He figured asking which street he was on was a little less crazy than asking which city, and really, he was starting to feel scared. Was he sick? Why couldn't he remember these things?

"Excuse me, Ma'am?" Dan said, wringing his hands together in front of him. He was nervous. And why was she so set on ignoring him? What had he ever done to her? He checked to make sure she wasn't wearing ear buds, wondering why she was pretending like she couldn't hear him.

"Miss?" he said, and he took a step closer, reaching out to tap her on the arm to get her attention. But as he leaned forward, instead of gently touching her, he went right through her, and found himself stumbling forward in surprise. He yelped as he found himself engulfed in her body, quickly back pedaling to get away from the woman. He was gasping, and shaking, and panic was overcoming him. He continued to back away, telling himself that it was the woman, not him, that was the problem.