Unlucky Events

tw: food mention

Phil lester did not ask Dan Howell out on a date. He was just an extremely unlucky person, and he got caught in a stream of unlucky events, each even more unlucky than the last.

He didn't even like Dan, funnily enough. Dan was annoying, and bratty, and he certainly wasn't friend material to Phil. Definitely not boyfriend material. It was also the fact that he hated Dan so much that he ended up having to pretend to date him, for this one night at least. It'd been an argument like any other, except this time it was in public instead of at school, and his mum had been present.

Phil had been in a store looking for a nice outfit. His mother had planned a family dinner and invited every relative she could, for god knows why. Then, she'd dropped the bomb on him at the last minute, telling him that he had to look nice, much nicer than the jeans and t-shirt he'd been wearing. But that all came after the first unlucky thing that had happened to him. Phil was sure that if had just woken up on time that morning none of the following events would've even happened.

Unlucky Event #1

Phil raced down the stairs, hair in disarray and sleep still encrusted in the corners of his eyes. His alarm hadn't gone off, although he knew that he'd set it last night, which didn't make any sense, but now he was late. His mum had asked him to pick up a few things before the dinner tonight, and he'd told her that he would get it today. Unfortunately, or maybe unluckily, he was late, and now he wasn't exactly sure if he'd be able to get everything in time.

He trampled through the kitchen, grabbing a granola bar to eat as he walked into town, and continued to the front door, where he hurriedly shoved his feet into his shoes. He was just about out the door, his breakfast already shoved into his mouth with the wrapper crumpled in his hand, when his mother called after him.

"Phil, honey, can you come here a sec?" She said, making Phil groan around the food in his mouth and retrace his steps, back through the kitchen and into the living room.

"Are you going out now? You're have my list, right?" She questioned, and Phil nodded, desperately chewing the bar.

"And you have a nice outfit picked out?" She continued, making Phil choke. A nice outfit? For what?

"Huh?" Phil uttered after finally swallowing what he had eaten, and his mother's eyes narrowed, coming to the realization that he wasn't on the same page as her.

"Nice clothes? You know, for my dinner tonight?" Her tone was threatening, almost daring him to say anything other than 'yes, and they look charming as well!'

"You didn't tell me that I had to dress up!" Phil said, his voice raising in agitation. "Next thing you'll be telling me to bring my boyfriend around."

"You have a boyfriend?" She gasped, and Phil groaned. How could she see straight through his jokes and sarcasm but not even think to tell him that he needed to look nice tonight?

"No, I was kidding," he said, and she looked at him skeptically.

"Fine. Go get me the rest of the ingredients and we'll meet at one of those stores you like. We can find you a nice outfit there," she said, thankfully dropping it, and Phil nodded his agreement. He turned around and finally left the house, a cloud of annoyance surrounding him. He now knew that he probably wouldn't have any time to hide in his room before his relatives showed up.

Unlucky Event #2

After having such a horrible morning, Phil hadn't thought that anything else would go astray. He was wrong.