Rain and Trees and Sunshine

dan: very sarcastically "fanservices" us about how he borrowed phil's jacket

me: equally sarcastically, except kind of seriously, writes a fic based on it

Summary: Phil lends Dan his jacket.

Word count: 2k

Genre: pure fluff

--

Dan blinked, staring in dismay outside the large, glass window before him. He'd somehow gotten sucked into staying behind after school to help Mrs. Clark tutor his fellow classmates. He was too polite to turn her down when she asked, and the very thought of doing so had Dan's skin threatening to break out in a cold sweat.

He guessed it made sense that she would ask him for help, however. He got exceptionally good grades, and it all came with relative ease to him, which he knew his peers envied and sometimes despised him for. And while he wasn't opposed to helping someone understand something here and there, it really was horrendous to have his free afternoon stolen right out from under him.

He'd missed his chance at enjoying the bright, sunny skies and cool breezes. In fact, he'd missed it by about a mile, as now it was pouring down rain and the cold air of the outdoors was seeping through the very glass in front of him. Dan pressed his hand against it, sighing in displeasure when he felt the very evident proof that he was not going to enjoy his walk home.

Briefly, Dan fantasized about calling his mother and asking her to pick him up, but he knew that not even in his wildest dreams would she succumb to his wishes. With an internal groan, Dan stepped towards the door, already dreading the idea of getting home and pulling sopping wet papers out of his bookbag.

"Are you going out in that?" someone called, and Dan's heart gave a sudden, vicious thump, as he'd not known that there was anyone else around. He spun on his heel, eyes wide and heart now dancing a nervous jig, and stared in astonishment at Phil Lester.

"I—well, yeah," Dan managed, his face going a little pink as he stuttered. He couldn't help it. It was Phil Lester he was talking to, after all. Phil was in the grade above Dan, and he was one of the most popular people in school, being the star of the football team. Everyone jostled to get a seat next to him at lunch, and they smiled hugely at him when they passed by in the hallways, hoping he'd maybe possibly (please oh please) return one.

Dan had barely ever talked to Phil before. They'd been almost kind of friends in the second grade, and Dan had once accidentally gotten play-doh in Phil's hair when they were nine, but other than that...

"Wearing that?" Phil questioned. Dan glanced down at himself, slightly self conscious. He figured (hoped) that Phil was referring to the fact that Dan was wearing a thin t-shirt when it seemed to be below freezing outside. Dan had dressed for the weather that morning, however, and he'd felt plenty fine then. Of course, now he was regretting not checking for the entire day's forecast, but it was too late for regrets now.

"Yeah," Dan laughed a bit awkwardly, and he ran a hand through his hair before abruptly stopping, realizing it would make his curls even more disorganized.

"You're crazy," Phil said, shaking his head. "You'll get hypothermia, Dan." Dan struggled to keep his eyes from widening to the size of the moon. Phil knew his name?

"I live on the edge," Dan joked, and he felt hot all over when Phil laughed. At something he'd said!

"Well I happen to prefer my classmates alive," Phil said with a grin, and he shrugged off his jacket. "We had practice indoors today, 'cause of the rain and all. I think I'll be able to retain my body heat until I get to my car." He said this while smiling and walking easily towards Dan, jacket still held out, as if he wasn't Phil Lester and Dan wasn't Dan, some random nerd that hadn't associated with Phil since play-doh was still around.