Sleepy Cuddles

Dan and Phil weren't dating. Dan told himself this on a very regular basis. He told himself this when he crawled into Phil's bed every night, because his was cold and lonely and absent of Phil. He told himself this every morning when Phil roused Dan from bed and dragged him to the kitchen for a coffee, where they would lean against each other as they persuaded their eyes open with caffeine.

When Dan was sad, or sick, or just in the need of general comfort, he would tell himself that he and Phil weren't dating as Phil sat behind him, Dan situated between his legs, as Phil threaded his fingers through his hair and massaged his back.

Similarly, Dan told himself on just as regular a basis that he wasn't in love with Phil. When Phil hugged him from behind, and sniffed deeply in his hair, before wandering away without a word, Dan told himself this. When Dan found himself cuddling into Phil's side as they watched TV, Phil's arm instinctively coming up to wrap around his side, he told himself this.

Now, as Phil sat on his laptop, editing his latest video, his head propped in his fist, an abandoned tea on the table beside him, Dan found he couldn't lie to himself anymore. He just couldn't.

Looking at Phil's face, bunched up under the onslaught of his fist, pressed into his cheek, Dan couldn't deny his feelings. Seeing Phil with his large glasses perched on his nose, occasionally sliding down and having to be rescued from the end of his nose with a pointer finger, Dan could feel his heart bursting in his chest. Staring at Phil, adorably rumbled in pajamas he'd been wearing all day, while the sun sank behind the buildings outside their windows, Dan simply couldn't deny himself any longer.

He stood up and made his way across the room. Dan plucked the laptop off of Phil's lap, and situated himself between his legs instead. His back was pressed against Phil's chest, who rested his chin on Dan's shoulder, and pressed his nose into Dan's hair, inhaling audibly.

Dan returned the laptop to his own lap, and he picked up where Phil left off, cutting clips and sliding effects. Listening to the murmuring in his ear as Phil directed him, telling him to cut this clip shorter, to make this one louder.

"I love you," Dan found himself saying, still pressed against Phil's chest. Phil felt warm, he always did, and as Dan said this, he realized that Phil's fingers were trailing over the skin just under his shirt. How long had he been doing that?

"I know," Phil whispered, directly into the skin of his neck. Dan had stopped editing his video, and Phil's hands snaked around him, picking up where he left off while simultaneously holding him closer. "And I love you too, for the record."

There was a pause, a silence, filled only by the clicking of Phil's laptop, as he continued to edit. "I mean I'm in love with you," Dan clarified. And oh God, was he ever. It was the best feeling ever. And the worse one too. He wanted to bask in it all day, it felt just like he did when he was wrapped up in Phil's arms.

"Yes, I know. I'm in love with you too," Phil said into his ear, and Dan rested assured.

The room was quiet again. Dan could hear Phil's gentle breathing, and he'd captured Phil's hand in his at some point, but he couldn't remember when. The funny thing was, this was no different from the way they normally acted. Nothing was different from before Dan professing his love.

"I want to be your boyfriend," Dan declared sometime later.

"Good," Phil replied, and that was that.

Dan still felt quite at peace in Phil's arms, and he figured that now, as far as he could tell, he was Phil's boyfriend. But absolutely nothing felt different.

His breathing began to slow, and he turned his face into Phil's chest. Phil abandoned his editing, threading his fingers through the strands of Dan's hair instead.

Dan's eyes slipped shut, but still Phil's fingers played with his hair, held onto his hand. Even as Dan's breaths evened out, as he let out a sigh against Phil's chest.

Phil smiled down at him, and placed a kiss carefully on the top of his head. It was funny, Phil hadn't been entirely sure that they weren't already dating.