I Know You're So Pretty

tw: alchohol, violence (a girl slaps dan), food mention

"Dan," Phil said as he entered the lounge, likely letting Dan know that he was there. Dan still found that silly, because although he couldn't see, he could hear much better than most people, and he'd even heard Phil get out of his bed from the other room.

"Phil," he replied, smiling and looking towards Phil's general direction. Phil walked towards him, sitting down on the couch and using his feet to push Dan's hands off his own lap, so his feet could take preference. Dan put his arms back on top of Phil's legs.

"I'm hungry," Phil said, and Dan tried not to groan in frustration. He was hungry too, of course, but he'd actively been ignoring his hunger, knowing that he'd have to go out in public if he wanted to get some food.

Dan had no problem with being blind, he had been all his life and he didn't even see it as a handicap, as most people did. He had extraordinary hearing and could even feel people approaching through the vibrations in the ground sometimes. He felt like he was just as well adjusted as anyone else, which Phil completely understood and resulted in him not tiptoeing around Dan.

See, most people would be cautious around Dan, making sure to never use the words "see" or "look" or even "find", thinking that that'd somehow be offensive to him. Phil, on the other hand, would laugh and say "no wonder you can't find it Dan, you're blind!" when Dan said he couldn't find the remote or his phone or anything, really. Where some people would ask Dan if he needed help up the stairs, Phil would race him, sometimes going as far as to grab onto his legs so Dan couldn't win. Phil acted the same around Dan as he did around everyone else, which Dan loved and appreciated.

What Dan didn't love and appreciate was strangers, because most of the time they pitied him. They didn't understand that his hearing was excellent, and they'd whisper, "oh, poor boy" when they saw him walk by. They'd go out of their way to avoid him, and they would speak to whoever he was with instead of Dan himself, which he still didn't understand. No, he couldn't see them, but yes he could hear and even hold a conversation with them. Idiots.

Dan also didn't like going out in public in general. He was good at navigating places he already knew or areas that were relatively empty, which was the opposite of London. He always ended up feeling lost, since he was never exactly sure where he was going, other than the fact that he'd walked 50 steps out of his apartment and turned right, where he then walked 274 steps before turning left and accidentally losing count of his steps. Thankfully he usually had Phil and always had his walking stick, but he still wished he could navigate better.

"I'm hungry too," Dan resigned, standing up and walking out of the lounge, listening as Phil followed him. He knew that he could just tell him that he didn't want to go out, and Phil would pick up food for the both of them, but he also knew he'd feel like he was being a coward that way. Dan could go out in public if he wanted, and once he got back he'd feel better for it.

The second they were out of the building Dan's presence was announced by a tap, tap, tap, everywhere he went, along with sad sounding, pitying voices and the very occasional touch on his arm from Phil, probably saving him from something he wouldn't have known was there otherwise, such as an animal or wrapper strewn on the ground. They ended up going to a small deli, one that they often frequented, and as they walked in were greeted with calls from Pj, the shop's owner.

"Hey Phil! And Dan! There's my favorite blind friend!" He called, followed by a few shocked gasps from customers, most likely believing Dan was being insulted.

"I'm your only blind friend," Dan scoffed.

"Which automatically makes you my favorite," Peej chimed, and Dan rolled his unseeing eyes.