All Fun And Games

It wasn't very often that Dan actually went to parties. It was just the fact that it was even more interaction with people he didn't particularly like from school, for a night that wouldn't necessarily turn out to be fun or feel worth while. Still, Dan really hadn't been able to put up with Louise's begging, not again, and so he found himself walking into a near-stranger's house, a happy Louise chattering animatedly by his side.

"...said that she's going to be upstairs," Louise finished saying, just as Dan tuned back in. He considered asking her to repeat herself, but he knew she'd likely become annoyed, asking him if he had to zone out so fucking often. It wasn't his fault that he often found himself lost in his thoughts, despite the world continuing on around him. Or maybe it was his fault, but what did that matter?

Dan followed Louise into the kitchen, seeing as drinks were their very first priority. A few people called out as they walked by, and Dan nodded at those who did, but most of the people at the house party were people that Dan recognized but had never actually talked to. Not any more than asking to borrow a pencil from them, anyway.

The kitchen provided a healthy amount of alcohol, all thanks to Jacob Vince. His parents were rich and went on trips often, and so he had no trouble paying for a party's worth of alcohol, nor the throwing of the actual party.

Louise immediately poured them both a drink (a questionable amount of vodka with the merest hint of cranberry juice) before spotting a friend from school, and immediately disappearing into the crowd. Dan glared at the back of her head as she squeezed between various people and was gone from sight. She'd promised that she wouldn't do shit like that tonight, but Dan should've known better. She just couldn't seem to help it, and she'd be back soon enough, looking desperately for him with an apology on her lips.

Besides, from what it sounded like Louise was saying as they arrived at the party, Zoe was upstairs. Who else would Louise be bothering to tell him about anyway?

And so he maneuvered his way through the crowd of people, occasionally sharing smiles or nods with people he was semi-friends with, until he'd reach the stairs, where he had a brief reprieve. Not many people were crowding the stairs, aside from the couples who'd managed to have their faces accidentally glued together, apparently. Dan shifted passed these people, careful not to touch them, and then he was at the top of the stairs, looking questionably at the various doors.

Dan had just resolved open all the doors and see if he could find his friend (after listening intently outside of them first, just in case) when one door burst open, and Pj Liguori came stumbling out. He was one of Phil Lester's friends, who was probably one of the most popular people in the school. Zoe was friends with their group of friends too, and Louise even tagged along sometimes, but for the most part Dan tended to avoid this group, even when Zoe was with them.

How exactly Zoe had managed to befriend the most popular group of people in their grade, along with Dan, was inconceivable to him, but Zoe always said she just chose the best people to be her friends, that she was a good judge of character. Sometimes Zoe's other group of friends would see her in the hall and yell a greeting, but they usually ignored Dan. Not because they were being mean or anything, just in the way you wouldn't greet someone you weren't acquainted with.

"Hey Zoe!" Pj yelled, spinning back towards the room he'd just tumbled out of. "It's your friend!"

"What friend? Is it Dan?" Zoe's voice returned, and Dan froze, feeling put in the spot light.

"Yeah!" Pj shouted back, unnecessarily, seeing as none of them were very far away from each other at all. It seemed he'd already had more than a few drinks.

"Dan!" Zoe squealed, moments before she too ran out of what looked like a bedroom, and launched herself at Dan. Seconds later she was grabbing his hand and tugging Dan into the room, despite Dan's quiet protests, and straight into the thicket of her popular friends.