Oh, We're in Love, Aren't We?

Summary: Dan and Phil have been dating a while, but Dan doesn't believe in love.

Word Count: 4k

Genre: smut (listen, this was supposed to be fluff. JUST FLUFF. but there are THREE separate smut scenes in here kms)

--

Dan was logical. He believed in things he could see and understand, and that was the way it should be. He didn't believe in aliens, he didn't believe in ghosts, he didn't believe in any of that crap. Because it wasn't real.

Just as adamantly, Dan didn't believe in love. It was a sham, he was sure. He didn't see how people all over the world claimed to feel this overwhelming, all powerful feeling. Sure, he believed in it in the sense that he loved his parents and he loved, say, pizza. But people didn't fall in love. They didn't experience it so intensely.

Phil Lester believed the exact opposite of that.

"How can you not believe in love?" he demanded, moments after telling Dan he loved him for the first time. Dan couldn't help it, he'd told Phil his beliefs. It wasn't like he wanted to lie to him or lead him on, if Phil was going to be put off by his lack of belief in it.

"It's not real," Dan huffed. His arms were folded behind his head, and he was lounging on Phil's bed. Phil was across the room, sitting on top of his desk. Dan didn't know what he'd done to make Phil tell him he loved him, but one moment, he'd been lying on the bed with Phil across the room, and the next, Phil had been smiling fondly and informing Dan of it.

"You don't think I love you?"

Dan made an unconvinced sound. "I mean, sure you love me. But it's not—it's not like, what everyone thinks it is."

"How would you know? You've never been in love." Phil was arguing quite pleasantly. He seemed more amused than anything else, and still appeared entirely relaxed.

"And you have?"

"Yeah. Right now."

"You mean love as in like, you love your parents, or your brother. Or your friend. Your dog."

"No," Phil said, already shaking his head. "I love them, sure. But this is different."

"It's only different because you like to touch my dick," Dan argued. Phil laughed, and he rose from the desk, crossing the room. He settled on the bed next to Dan.

"I mean, you're not wrong about that," he said, resting on his side with his head propped up on his left hand. His other one settled over Dan's crotch, squeezing lightly, and Dan's breath hitched. "But that's not quite what I mean either."

"It is what you mean," Dan said. He wasn't looking at Phil as he did this, instead staring hard at the ceiling. Despite the fact that they'd been dating for months now, he still got flustered and embarrassed when they were touching each other, always fumbling out of his clothes and blushing while Phil ran his fingers over his chest.

"No, Dan. I love you in a way entirely different and unique from the ways I love other people. And I'm gonna make you feel it too."

"I'm only feeling one thing right now," Dan muttered darkly, as he bucked into Phil's grip. "Listen," Dan breathed. "I don't want you to be disappointed when I don't end up saying it. I care about you. A lot. But it doesn't get stronger than that."

"Okay," Phil said, very obviously not believing him. Dan would've rolled his eyes if he had more brain capacity to do so, but currently all his blood seemed to be located elsewhere.

"I love how pink your cheeks get when we do this," Phil whispered, and Dan's eyes flew open, briefly darting to the side to look at him. What the hell was he doing? "I love that you let me touch you, even though it clearly still makes you nervous."