Blush

Dan Howell was proud of a few particular things. He was proud of his YouTube channel and the content that he made, and he was proud of his strong bond with Phil, and the fact that their friendship had lasted this many years. He was also proud of the fact that he'd never been one to blush very easily, and even in situations where he was embarrassed, his face never showed it, and he could simply pretend that he wasn't.

However, he made a very, very bad mistake in telling Phil this. They'd been hanging out in Phil's room late in the night, or more accurately, extremely early in the morning. It'd been between episodes of whichever show they'd been watching on Netflix at the time, and he'd watched the numbers counting down to the next episode, and for some reason, he'd blurted it.

"You know what? I never blush," Dan had said, still staring at the computer screen. He was slumped down on Phil's pillows, having been too lazy to get the ones from his bed as well, and his shoulder was pressed gently against Phil's. The next episode started to play, and Phil paused it.

"That's so weird," he'd commented.

"Coming from you."

"I bet I could make you blush," Phil said, a determined look coming over his face. Dan scoffed.

"Doubt it."

And so Phil had made it his mission, ever sense that night, to make Dan blush. It was horrible.

Dan almost wished that he would blush, simply so Phil would stop bringing up embarrassing things. His gift was starting to feel more like a curse, and every time he saw Phil walk into a room, his chest filled with a little bit of anxiety, unsure if Phil was going to say something that would make any normal person blush again.

And it hadn't started out sexual either, because that wasn't the first place Phil's mind went. He'd said embarrassing things to Dan in public, while other people were around. Things like "hey, did you get the constipation tablets?" and "don't forget the cream for your rash." At first, Dan had stared at him incredulously, confused about just when he'd become constipated or developed a rash, before he realized that Phil was trying to make him blush, and burst out laughing. Dan did feel a bit embarrassed, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to make him blush.

Then, Phil had moved on to compliments, because many people blushed when they were complimented, though Dan didn't, of course.

"You look nice today, Dan," Phil had said, and Dan had paused in exiting the bathroom. His hair was a rat's nest and he was wearing an overlarge pajama shirt over his boxers, and he was pretty sure there was dried toothpaste on his lip.

"Thanks?" he'd replied, before sidestepping his weird best friend and continuing on to the kitchen.

The innocence didn't last, however, and currently Dan was half-debating avoiding Phil whenever possible. Just the other day, Dan had stumbled out of his room in the morning, yawning, when Phil had practically popped into existence in front of him.

"I heard you masturbating last night," he'd said abruptly, and Dan had stumbled back half a step, his mouth frozen in a yawn.

"Wha—" he'd managed to say, in an extremely higher pitch than normal, when Phil had groaned.

"Are you kidding me? How are you not blushing?" he'd demanded, and Dan had shrugged, pushing past him to find himself some breakfast. Dan had been determined to forget that, and to pretend that Phil hadn't really known he'd been doing... that the night before, and that he was simply saying whatever he could whenever he could to try and make Dan blush.

Now, Dan was sitting on the couch, his laptop perched on one knee while the tv played in the background. Phil was sitting directly beside him, their elbows brushing occasionally.

"Hey Dan?" Phil said, making Dan glance up at him.

"What?"

"What do you like more, topping or bottoming?" Phil was one of the only people who knew Dan's sexuality, but they'd never even come close to talking about his sex life.

"Phil!" Dan exclaimed, while Phil stared hard at him for a few seconds, before sighing in annoyance.

"You never blush," he complained, and Dan smacked him on the arm.

"I told you so."

And then, quite suddenly, Phil's arm shot out and curled around Dan's neck.

"Wh—"

Dan was tugged sideways, Phil's fingers pressed firmly into his neck, feeling extremely warm, and sending shivers all over his body. Then Phil darted forward, pressing his lips against Dan's cheek, and Dan heard himself gasp, felt himself shiver, could feel Phil's warm hand and his hot lips, and couldn't help but feel cold in comparison.

Phil finally backed away, and Dan stared straight forward, miraculously feeling his cheeks heat up. His face had erupted in a heated blush, and he threw his face into his hands.

"That wasn't fair!" he groaned. "You cheated!"

Phil simply laughed in response, and he curled those warm fingers around his neck once more, pulling Dan closer. "No I didn't," he whispered, and his breath ghosted across Dan's ear, and Dan couldn't seem to make himself stop blushing. He finally looked up from his hands and glared at Phil.

"Yes you defini—" Dan was cut off, quite rudely, he might add, by Phil pressing his lips against Dan's. At first, Dan had let out an indignant little squeak, which was soon replaced with a gasp, as Phil drew his tongue against Dan's lip.

At the end of the day, Dan still couldn't decide whether he wanted to make as many bets as he could with Phil from this day forward, or avoid ever making a bet with him again.