Guardian Angel

TW: a guy tries to force himself on dan, non-con

also there's smut at the end whoop enjoy

Dan's guardian angel hated him.

Everyone had one, and everyone was adored and doted on by their own guardian angels—except for Dan. From a young age, he, like most other little kids, asked his parents about the other little boy that followed him around everywhere. They'd explained that the boy was his guardian angel, and that no one else could see him but him.

"Your guardian angel is here to protect you," his mother had told him, and Dan had nodded and believed her, because who didn't believe every word out of their parents' mouths at that age?

"He should always be somewhere close by," his father had said knowingly, and his eyes had drifted slightly to the side, as if to look at a person who wasn't there.

Later, Dan had learned a rather disconcerting fact, mostly by talking with the other little kids and school and slowly inferring that his guardian angel was different.

"Her name is Layla," Lily had said at recess, hanging recklessly from the monkey bars, her hair almost touching the mulch-covered ground.

"You know her name?" Dan had said incredulously. Automatically, his eyes had slid over to the edge of the playground, where his guardian angel sat on the brick wall, staring up at the sky and looking supremely bored. He'd never said a word to Dan in his life.

"Of course," Lily had said easily. "She talks to me whenever my friends aren't around." And with that, Lily had lost her grip on the monkey bars. Dan had gasped and stumbled forward a step, as if to help, but her descent to the ground had been immediately slowed, and she'd let out a little sigh of relief. "Thank you," she said to the air, a soft smile on her lips. Dan had blinked. Her guardian angel had just caught her?

Curious, and slightly insecure, Dan had talked to other people about their guardian angels. Was Dan's angel the weird one, or was it Lily's that was the odd one out?

"He's always in white," Andrew had relayed easily on the walk home from the bus stop. "And he glows faintly. You know."

"Of course!" Dan had laughed. Except that didn't describe Dan's angel at all. He wore all black, and instead of glowing he seemed to absorb light. He was almost like a shadow. And while Dan was pretty sure Andrew's angel was walking directly beside him, based on the way his eyes tended to flick over there, Dan's angel was lagging somewhere behind them. He'd never really paid Dan any attention at all.

"She's my best friend," Cathy had relayed, when asked.

"He's saved my butt a million times." Josh shrugged.

"She always laughs at my jokes," Hunter had said. Dan had frowned at that one—mainly because... a boy? With a girl guardian angel? But had been jealous nonetheless. Dan wouldn't dare to tell a joke to his guardian angel.

Still, he played along and pretended that his guardian angel was the exact same way.

"Oh, we always play video games after school," Dan had told a girl in his class.

"Lucky!" she groaned. "Abby hates video games."

And so Dan had accepted the fact that there was something wrong with his guardian angel. He didn't talk to Dan. He barely looked at him. If it was possible for him to leave, Dan was pretty sure he would've walked out the second Dan had been born.

The only thing Dan really knew about his guardian angel was that they aged at the same rate—and he only knew that because he'd seen his angel every day of his life. He' d never done anything to help Dan though. He didn't keep Dan from falling, he didn't wake him up when he was having nightmares. He didn't comfort him when a few boys at school ambushed him and told him he was gross because he liked boys.