You're Not Cute

tw: food mention

Dan used to think that the thing he hated most was getting sick. It made since, anyway, how he hated feeling like he was wasting time as he laid in a bed of used tissues and tried to concentrate on a tv show. That's what he should have hated the most anyway, and it was number one his most hated list, at least until he moved in with his best friend. Now, the thing that he hated the absolute most, was when Phil got sick.

And no, that wasn't some cute way of saying that he hated seeing his best friend all sniffly and in pain, as the majority of his viewers would think. He could care less about whether Phil had a runny nose or a slight head ache, he had better things to worry about anyway. Bedsides, it wasn't the fact that Phil was sick that made Dan hate it so much, it was how Phil acted when he was sick.

Every time Phil got so much as a cold, he became the neediest person Dan had ever encountered. Normally he was very independent, as any grown twenty-eight year-old would be, but the second his temperature was one degree above normal, he needed help doing absolutely everything. And Dan was way too nice, which was now obvious.

When Phil was sick he liked to eat soup, and he also liked to ask Dan to go out and buy the soup, and then come home and make the soup. Dan probably wouldn't be that annoyed by it, if it wasn't a necessity every single time Phil was sick, or if the guy could at least perform some other simple actions, since Dan was fucking feeding him. But no, Phil needed Dan to get the remote for him please, and to bring him another pillow please, and to get him a pair of socks please. Dan was sick of the word please- he didn't care that Phil was trying to be polite, he was still making Dan do everything for him.

"Dan?" Phil's dreaded voice called (yes, called) through the apartment, despite the abundance of other ways to communicate, like their phones and/or laptops.

Dan sighed loudly in annoyance before answering. "What?"

"Can you come here for a sec?" He shouted, and Dan clenched his fists in irritation and debating saying that no, he could not 'come here for a sec'. Needless to say, Dan stood up and walked to Phil's room.

"What?" Dan asked again as he stood in his friend's doorway, trying to remain annoyed despite the fact that he could see Phil, cute and pitiful before him. Wait, cute? Dan thought, going back on his thought process and wondering if he meant it. His eyes raked over Phil's form, with his comforter balled up in his hands and tucked under his chin, and his socks poking out at the bottom.

"Will you get me a glass of water please?" Please.

Dan nodded despite the fact that he wanted to grab the nearest object and throw it at his friend's head. Definitely not cute, he decided, walking out of the room and trying not to show that he was annoyed. Despite how much he wished that Phil would actually do something for himself, he wouldn't ever say anything to him, or do anything to make him think that Dan was angered in any way. Dan knew that if he were to ask for the same treatment when he was sick, that Phil would do it no problem. But still, Dan got sick a lot less often than Phil.

When he returned with the water, Phil was sitting upright and he grinned hugely as he walked into the room and handed it to him.

"Thank you!" He chimed, before taking a sip and blinking up at Dan tiredly. Cutely.

Not cutely.

"No problem," Dan said, and he turned around to go, before Phil's husky sounding voice called him back.

"Wait, wanna watch a show with me?" He asked, already scooting over in his bed, expecting Dan to say yes. Well, he expected right.

"Sure," Dan said, climbing into the probably germ ridden bed and propping up the pillows behind him. Phil opened a new tab on his computer, pulling up the latest show they were watching.

He slid the laptop onto Dan's lap and scooted slightly closer to him. Dan pressed play, fully expecting to watch this episode to the end, but he had to pause it after just ten minutes, because Phil fucking fell asleep. He sighed in agitation, before opening up tumblr and resigning himself to an afternoon of scrolling.

For a second he thought that Phil had woken up, because he scooted even closer, but when Dan looked over he was sound asleep. Phil then leaned his head against Dan's shoulder, still asleep, and Dan held his breath.

What do you do when you're sleeping friend is sleeping on you? Do you just let them remain where they are until they wake up? Do you politely move them so that when they do wake up they don't feel awkward?

Dan gulped, and decided to pretend that he wasn't there. He continued to scroll through tumblr and ignored the fact that he could feel Phil's hot breath his his neck every time he exhaled. And yeah, Dan was currently pretending that Phil wasn't cuddling up to him, but he extended his arm and wrapped it around Phil's shoulders anyway, because it was uncomfortable when it was pressed up against his side. And when Phil readjusted, snuggling closer to Dan now that an arm wasn't in his way, Dan squeezed him slightly, letting him stay where he was.

And okay, maybe Dan was pretending that Phil wasn't cuddling with him and maybe he was pretending even harder that he wasn't cuddling back, but when Phil woke up and rubbed his eyes sleepily, before turning his head and pressing it into Dan's chest, he didn't say anything about it. And when Phil mumbled into his chest, asking if Dan would make stir fry for dinner, Dan couldn't find it in him to be annoyed, instead simply saying that yes, he would make it.

What Dan didn't expect when he got up to make it, was for Phil to follow him, trailing behind in an oversized sweatshirt and leaning against his side as he stirred the ingredients in the pan. He also didn't expect Phil to tangle their legs together as they ate dinner, and when they sat down on the couch to watch tv, he didn't expect him to lean against him. Dan wondered if Phil expected it when he wrapped his arms around his shoulders.

When Phil fell asleep against Dan, he kind of expected it, and even if he didn't, he was okay with it. He let Phil stay there all night, and when Dan's back started aching and he tried to move to lay down on the couch instead of sitting up, Phil moved with him. He was practically laying on top of Dan by the time he was actually falling asleep, but Dan was okay with it.

If there's one thing that Dan now knew, its's that he definitely didn't hate it that much when Phil was sick. In fact, Dan didn't think he hated it at all.