Fireplace Cuddles

It wasn't strange to see Dan around the flat, they did live together after all. But it was strange to see Dan at six in the morning, slumping out of his room and towards the fire place, where Phil was seated. It took Dan a few moments to realize that there was someone else already at the fire place, and he smiled at Phil as he sat beside him.

Phil had almost never seen Dan awake this early before, not unless he had yet to go to sleep. But still, as Dan yawned and rubbed at his eyes sleepily, Phil offered him his coffee. He was currently drinking out of the hello kitty mug, as there'd yet to be any dishes done and he hadn't felt like hand washing a proper mug. So here he was, with a mug that splashed hot coffee onto you with every sip. And Dan knew that when he took it from Phil's hand. He also knew that Phil liked his coffee with way to much sugar, but he drank it anyway.

Dan clutched the mug of coffee tightly in his hands, likely trying to absorb the warmth from it. Their flat was terribly cold, which explained why Phil woke up early every morning to sit in front of the fireplace. However it wasn't until today that he had company, a sleepy, adorable best friend who was shivering despite the sweatshirt two sizes too big.

And so it seemed only logical when Phil offered Dan some of his duvet, which was wrapped around his shoulders. Sitting in from of the fireplace would warm you up, but it would only warm up one side at a time. Meaning Phil's back was usually much warmer than his front, which had prompted him to start bringing his comforter with him.

Dan scooted just a bit closer and wrapped the offered comforter around his own shoulders. Phil's shoulder was pressed against Dan's, but this could also be explained logically. With both of them under the blanket they could generate more body heat, and if their shoulders were touching then their shoulders would be warmer. Simple logic.

After the first morning when Dan had joined him, it became a regular thing. Dan would wander out of his bed room, yawning loudly and rubbing his eyes. He'd then stumble towards Phil, yank the duvet to accommodate him, and pluck Phil's coffee from his hands. Phil knew that he could just make Dan his own coffee, and he knew that Dan could simply bring his own comforter if he really wanted, but neither of them did that. Instead Phil added less sugar to his coffee, and Dan pressed their shoulders together under the blanket.

It was practically by accident when they started sitting closer together. It had started when Dan plopped down next to Phil, and immediately started drifting back to sleep. He slumped onto Phil, with his head pressed against Phil's shoulder, and Phil wrapped his arm around Dan, if only to help prop him up. After that day Phil wrapped his arm around Dan everyday, even though Dan rarely fell asleep anymore.

One time Dan got sick, which really disrupted their usual routine. He'd lumbered out of his room a bit later than usual, coughing and sniffling the whole way to the fire place. There he'd sat next to Phil, and he'd drank Phil's coffee, which Phil hardly even thought about. Although the next morning when Phil woke up unable to breath through his nose, he realized that they probably shouldn't have shared that coffee. That morning Phil had made a cup of coffee, but this time he took a pill for his cold as well, and he got a pill out for Dan too.

When Dan joined Phil, he was handed him the pill wordlessly, which he swallowed with the help of Phil's coffee. Then he leaned against Phil, and Phil wrapped his arm around Dan's waist, and they sat there for a while, sniffing and coughing while wrapped in each other's arms inside a duvet.

It happened slowly, so they hardly noticed when they began sitting even closer. It was just that one day Phil realized that they weren't sitting side by side anymore. They weren't sitting so that Dan was leaning against him and Phil's arm was wrapped around Dan. Now they sat so that Dan was in between Phil's legs, and his back was pressed against Phil's front. This was obviously the most logical way to sit. This way Phil's back was warmed by the fire, and Dan's back was warmed by Phil.

Dan's head was leaned back against Phil's shoulder, and his eyes were closed lightly. Phil's arm absentmindedly circled Dan's waist, holding him in place as he leaned against Phil. Sitting all cute and curled up hardly worked out for two six foot tall men, but they did it anyway, their bodies accommodating for the other. Phil held his coffee in the hand that wasn't holding Dan close to him. He wasn't so much holding it as balancing it on Dan's thigh and holding on to the handle so it wouldn't tip over.

Phil tried not to think about how much of their bodies were touching. Whenever he did his breathing picked up and his heart fluttered, which he couldn't explain. He and Dan simply liked to cuddle, plus it was warm when they cuddled together in their constantly cold house.

It was hard for Phil to keep up his argument when their house stopped being so cold in the mornings. As winter faded to spring they still sat in front of the fire place, although now the fire place wasn't turned on and Phil's duvet was left on his bed. It was just Dan and Phil, bodies pressed together for no reason other than that they could be. It certainly wasn't for warmth, not when their flat was hardly even cold any more.

Phil couldn't deny that his mornings were the best part of his day. Every one of them spent pressed up against Dan, holding each other close and barely talking. Of course they talked, they talked practically all day long, but not in the mornings. In the morning they simply sat and cuddled, and the most they said was a sleepy "good morning" before they were situating themselves comfily.

Phil figured that it was because of all the cuddling that Dan felt comfortable wandering into his room after having a nightmare. He'd nudged the door open, tip toeing into the room and climbing onto Phil's bed. Phil hadn't questioned it, he'd only lifted his duvet invitingly. Soon Dan was wrapped in Phil's arms, and when it was morning, they crawled out of bed together. Dan helped Phil make the coffee, and then they sat in front of the fire place like usual.

When Phil first kissed Dan it was practically by accident. The two of them had been sat in front of the fire place for almost an hour when Dan stood up, extending a hand to Phil. Then they made their way into the kitchen, each of them preparing a bowl of cereal. It was as Phil reached for the milk in the fridge, and Dan reached for a bowl in a cabinet, that they met in the middle of the kitchen, both of their arms extending past the other.

Phil barely had to think about it when he retracted his hand, deciding that he'd rather touch Dan's face than try to get milk. He gently cupped Dan's cheek, with his thumb resting lightly on Dan's chin. Dan seemed almost dumbfounded, but he placed his hand atop Phil's waist anyway. And when Phil leaned forward and captured Dan's mouth with his, the only thought going through his head was 'oops'. He hadn't planned on kissing Dan that morning, he wasn't entirely sure that he'd planned on kissing Dan ever, but here he was, with his lips pressed firmly against Dan's.

They shuffled closer and closer to each other, bodies lined up and pressed against one another. Phil pushed Dan until they were against the fridge, kissing firmly but softly, a simple kind of magic flowing between them. Phil figured that kissing Dan was only logical. They already cuddled every day, and they'd slept in the same bed before, it just made since to kiss after all that. Phil wouldn't mind having Dan be his boyfriend, and so as soon as their lips parted he whispered against Dan's mouth exactly what he wanted. Dan had pulled Phil back in for another kiss, which Phil decided to take as a yes.

Even though the two were dating, old traditions die hard. Every morning, even though they now slept in the same bed, they wander out of their room and into the hall. They made themselves a cup of coffee, and sat together in front of the fire place, passing the mug back and forth.

Months later when Dan admitted that he'd only woken up early every single morning was so he could be with Phil, Phil had admitted that he still hated how bland the coffee tasted without all that sugar.