The Black Cat

tw: neko smut?? if u consider that triggering

Dan had had the ability his whole life, and he'd never really expected disastrous results because of it. After all, what harm could a little cat do?

It had given his parents a huge fright when one day, they'd taken their eyes off him for a second, only to look back and see a scruffy black kitten sitting where their son was supposed to be. And then, before their eyes, Dan had changed right back into the giggling, drooling baby he actually was.

He'd gained better control over his ability as he'd grown older as well, it wasn't as if he was still accidentally turning into a cat all the time. No, now it only happened when he wanted it to. Like now.

See, Dan had made a lot of mistakes in his life. One of those mistakes had been being gay, which really, wasn't his mistake to make. And quite honestly, Dan found it hard to believe that his parents could accept that fact that for apparently no reason at all he could turn into a cat, but were disgusted that he was attracted to men.

They'd given him an ultimatum, to get straight or to get out. And that wasn't really a choice, now was it?

Dan had left with nothing but the clothes on his back, and his luck had only gone downhill from there. He'd had no money, no friends, no home, and no parents. He'd been stranded in the city, suddenly homeless. And he'd stayed that way.

Dan had found a pretty quiet alley to make his home. He camped there every night, laying down his beat up and dirty sleeping back and curling up on the cold, hard concrete, hoping that tonight was the night that everything would change for him. And, of course, that he wouldn't be murdered in his sleep.

Still, Dan had learned a few very good life lessons while being homeless (for the four months that he had been, anyway). One, never put anything you owned down, because chances are, other homeless people were also in dire need of it. Two, for some reason, a few crap people really loved picking on the homeless. Dan had experienced this at the hand of stupid teenagers who had stolen his stuff or beat him up for the fun of it, which was absolute bullshit. As if he needed to be kicked while he was down (literally).

And three: everyone was more likely to feed a stray cat than a homeless person. Dan didn't know why this was, why people held more sympathy for a scruffy animal than they did for another human being, but he didn't question it. After all, it was thanks to this simple fact that he even got fed every day. In fact, it was what he was doing right now.

"Mrow," Dan said, blinking up at the man in front of him politely. Feed me, Dan thought. Give me some of that chicken and I'll be on my way.

The man startled slightly, before leaning over the edge of the table and looking down at Dan. Immediately a large smile lit up his face, and he crooned at Dan.

Stop thinking I'm cute and feed me! Dan despaired. The man reached out his hand towards Dan, who had to resist the urge to bite it. He knew he had to play the part though, of a cute sad little stray kitten, sweet and lovable and deserving of a piece of that sandwich.

"Here, kitty kitty!" the man called softly, still holding his hand out to Dan. I am here, Dan thought in annoyance, but still walked forward and rubbed his cheek along the man's hand. He couldn't resist purring when the man scratched behind his ears. Dan stepped away a second later, however, his message hopefully clear. No more attention until he got something to eat.

The man laughed and reached back up towards his tray, and Dan perked up immediately, liking his chops. God, he'd been starving all day. Some people didn't have any tolerance for stray cats, and so Dan had to approach people carefully. He didn't want to get kicked or stepped on or anything, and he had to keep an eye out for the nice looking people.