Chapter 10

“What do you mean you’re quitting?” Bang Shi Hyuk looked at Taehyung.

“I can’t work for you anymore, Sir. I’m sorry.” It was the hardest decision Taehyung had ever made. Mr. Bang and the Bulletproof Boys had been his family for so many years. Leaving the family almost felt like one big betrayal for Taehyung, it really tore his heart apart. But he had to do it. For the first time in his life, he really wanted something that wasn’t somebody else’s desires or dreams.

Mr. Bang clasped his hands together. He looked at the young man who was standing in front of him, the same young man he had taken off the street. Taehyung was one of the best and the most loyal boys he ever had. He never thought Taehyung would ever leave him and the Bulletproof Boys.

“Tell me what changed your mind?”

Taehyung could still see the way Tiffany looked at him that night. Those eyes showed him how much she got hurt. “I realize that I want to pursue a better life. A life where someone will be proud of me.”

“Hmmm….” Mr. Bang tapped his desk. “Are you saying the life that I’ve given you is not good enough?” How much money do you want?”

“It’s not about money.”

Mr. Bang laughed. “Everything is all about money, Taehyung.”

“I’m really sorry, but that’s all I could say.” Taehyung knew at that very moment he had to burn all bridges to his past.

……………………………………………….

It had been a month since Taehyung left the Bulletproof Boys. He worked at a small restaurant downtown. Taehyung had never enrolled to college, he had no certificates whatsoever, and now he just realized how important school and education were. No companies wanted to hire someone who only graduated from high school with no special skills except beating up people.

Luckily for Taehyung, he met Jin sunbaenim, a senior from his high school who owned a small restaurant. Taehyung needed to have a clean life if he wanted to see Tiffany again.

It was Taehyung’s turn to clean the kitchen before the restaurant opened in five hours. He moved several containers from the truck parked outside the kitchen.

“Hyung, why did you quit?”
Taehyung spontaneously looked up. Jungkook was standing by the open door. His dongsaeng was staring at him.

“Jungkook….” Taehyung put the container down. After what happened to Taeyeon that night, Taehyung still didn’t know how to face Jungkook. He realized Jungkook didn’t know Taeyeon and he wouldn’t even care if he had to hurt that woman. But everytime Taehyung remembered the bruises on Taeyeon’s face, he really wanted to hate Jungkook.

“Why are you here?” Taehyung showed no emotions.

“Tell me why Hyung quit.”

“I couldn’t work for Mr. Bang anymore.”

“Is it because of that girl?”

Blood ran fast through Taehyung’s veins. “I don’t want to work in a place where I had to beat up innocent women cold heartedly.”

Jungkook raised his eyebrow. “What do you mean, Hyung?”

“You know really well what I mean.”

Jungkook snorted. “I don’t beat up women, if that what Hyung mean.”

Taehyung stared at his youngest dongsaeng. He tried to know if Jungkook wasn’t lying. “Someone hurt Taeyeon. It wasn’t you?”

“You wouldn’t believe me, why would I explain it to you?” His hyung used to believe him. But a woman changed everything.

“Tell me who hurt Taeyeon? Did you really not do anything to her? For freaking God, someone smacked her in the face, Jungkook. And I can’t imagine what else she had gone through that night. Tell me it wasn’t you who did that to her.”

“Is Taeyeon more important to you than me, Hyung?” Jungkook really couldn’t believe his hyung had changed that easily.

“I hope you didn’t do that to her, Kook.”

The two young men were staring at each other. When had time changed them? Why were they standing in front of each other like they were two strangers? Didn’t they use to look after one another?

“Tell me why you left us. I think I deserve an explanation.” Jungkook demanded.

“If I want to see Tiffany again, I need to have a better life than just being a watchdog.” Taehyung said.

“And is working at a restaurant making your life better?”

“This is just a beginning.” Taehyung lifted the container on the floor and moved it to the corner of the kitchen. “I will try to find a better job with good salary. Right now, I just need to get myself out of our dirty job.”

Jungkook was hurt by Taehyung’s words. “Hyung, we’ve promised each other to be brothers forever and we wouldn’t leave each other behind. Have you forgotten that promise?”

Taehyung closed his eyes, of course he would never forget the promise he had made with his beloved dongsaeng. But fate was cruel. “….. No matter what happens, you will always be my little brother, Kook-ah. And nothing will ever change that.”

Jungkook shook his head. “I feel like I’ve just lost a hyung by now.”

“Jungkook-ah!”

“You’ve made your choice, Hyung. You chose that girl over your own brothers!” Jungkook’s words were full of pain.

Taehyung approached his dongsaeng, he reached his hand to touch Jungkook’s shoulder, but that maknae took a step backward. He didn’t want to be touched.

“Listen, Kook. Just because your hyung loves someone, doesn’t mean his love for you will be any less.”

“But I’m a very jealous person….”

“Kookie-ah….”

“I hope you enjoy your new life, Hyung.” Jungkook turned around. He had no reasons to stay there any longer. But just a moment before he left the kitchen, Jungkook said something. “Beware, Hyung. Tiffany is not the girl you think she is….”[]