Chapter 2

- 15 YEARS LATER -

Sophie's Pov ~

I slumped in the chair outside the headteacher's office, swinging my legs. It was the 7th time this month. I hid my face behind my dark brown curly hair hoping Laura, my social worker, wouldn't see me. I promised her I would keep my mouth shut, it was just so difficult when everyone was so oblivious to such simple signs of an affair.

"What's the story this time Soph?" Laura sighed

I didn't even have to look up to see that she had her usual look of disappointment on her face. I twiddled my thumbs trying to distract myself from thinking of the impending doom I was faced with. I knew I was on my last chance I just couldn't help myself.

" I simply stated that Mr Thomas would not have time to mark our work this evening because he was going to be far too busy having an affair with Mrs Thompson in his store cupboard! It was a completely valid statement considering you could practically read it on his face."

"Oh Sophie, what am I going to do with you?" She sighed sadly "you know I might not be able to help you this time? You've had far too many chances and I doubt they'll let you off again."

I nodded knowing full well this meant I was going to be expelled. Again. My foster family were already fed up with me, this was enough to push them right over the edge I was sure of it.

The door to my headteachers office opened and Mrs Fullen called me inside. I got up from my seat and walked in followed closely by Laura, who shut the door behind her. I sat down in my regular seat opposite Mrs Fullen's desk and looked out the window. I could see my foster parents getting out of their car, my foster father storming down the path to reception followed by my foster mother who I could tell was trying to fight my corner.

"Miss Hooper, Are you even listening?"

I snapped back in to reality realising I had zoned out and hadn't been listening at all

"Well as I was saying, this will have serious consequences as this isn't the first time Miss Hooper has opened that mouth of hers now is it? I gave her plenty of warnings and yet she still continued to defy me therefore I have no choice but to expel her" 

Laura began trying to fight my corner but to no avail. Mrs Fullen's decision was made. She showed us out of her office however I knew that was just the beginning. As I got back into the hallway, my foster parents jumped up from their seats outside the office. My foster father rubbed his forehead as if trying to get his head around what had happened.

"So?" was the only word that escaped his mouth

I sat in the back of the car, staring out the window. My foster parents were arguing in the front. I knew it was about me but instead of listening I switched off, entered my mind palace and dreaded my return home. As soon as we pulled up on the drive I raced up to my room and shut my door. That's when the screaming match began. I heard every word my father said about me and about how he couldn't cope anymore. I put in headphones and got out my notebook doodling aimlessly until I got fed up. Eventually I threw my notebook across the room and fell back onto my bed hoping when I woke up this all would be over.