Chapter 32

I knelt down by the side of Dad's shaming figure, hunched in the middle of the floor.

"What can't you do?"

I asked quietly, rubbing his shoulder

"I'm not fit to be a father, I can't look after myself!"

He threw his hands up in the air in frustration, fresh tears rolling down his cheeks. I looked up at Mum hoping for support but found she was speaking in hushed tones on the phone in the corner. Mycroft I guessed.

"Dad, you're the best thing that's happened to me in my life, without you I didn't have a life, I still wouldn't if you hadn't taken me in, you love me regardless of my past and who I am and the same goes for me. Dad you aren't giving up now, not when we've been through so much to get to this point in the first place"

He looked up at me and for the first time, there was no guard in his eyes. The weakness that was always trapped beneath layers of witty comebacks and sarcasm was on full display.

Instinctively, we wrapped each other in a hug and before I even realised, I began to sob.

"I'll be a better Dad Sophie"

He whispered in my ear and the genuine tone of his voice showed me he meant every word.

He pulled away so we were at arms length from each other, kissed my forehead, then stood up from where he was on the floor. I followed his movements with my gaze as he strode out the room and down the hallway.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I gently eased up off the floor and followed Dad into the lounge where I found him rooting through drawers again.

Eventually, he pulled several bottles of pills out from where they had been stashed and set them down on the table.

I simply stared at them, not sure what to say.

"This is what I should've done 15 years ago"

Dad stated before gathering the bottles up, carrying them to the bathroom, and pouring each bottle down the toilet and flushing them away.

I stared speechless at him.

"Molly, tell Mycroft that he must look after Sophie for me for a while. It's going to be difficult but I know that it's going to be worth it in the end so that's why I'm giving up the drugs. I need to be a better dad and that starts with this"

Dad shouted

I grinned at him proudly, wrapping him into another hug.

Thankfully he was getting better about hugging and deep down I knew that he loved them really, especially from me. 

I rushed to pack my stuff up into a bag and say goodbye to Mum and Dad as Uncle Mycroft was sending a car to come and get me soon.

Minutes later, I found myself climbing into the back of the black Mercedes parked outside the front of Bakers street ready and waiting to take me to my uncles house.

Or so I thought.

AN// Heyyy!! How's life people? I'm feeling great right now because exams are over!!!!!! Woooooo! Hahaha anyway, thank you so much for almost 7k reads! I know I say this every time but it's honestly crazy to me how many people read this like why? I just don't get it! I appreciate your support as always and you'll be pleased to know I can FINALLY get back into writing properly and after this chapter I am definitely excited to write more ;) Anyway, thanks for reading!

Starryeyes <3