Chapter 58

I woke up on top of him, face resting on his chest as it rose and fell, feeling his hands in my hair and on my back. I raised my head to look at him, smiling.

    "Oh, it's been so long since I've seen you smile like that. It's like seeing the sun," he said, smiling back.

    I hugged him around the neck, pulling myself up, feeling him slip out of me.

    "Wow, that went fast," I whispered, wiping away the sweat from along his hairline.

    He hugged me to him, rolling me so I was pinned between him and the back of the sofa.

    "Yeah," he agreed. "But that was just act one. Or the first inning. Or whatever metaphor you want to use. I've got a lot more saved up."

    "Saved up?" I asked, surprised. "You mean you didn't, you know, take care of business on your own, while you were, while we were--" I didn't know the word for what we'd been for the last four months.

    He shook his head. "I just couldn't," he said, looking at me. "It was such a poor substitute for the real thing, you know?"

    "But you told me about that time you were in a meeting and you went to the bathroom and did it," I reminded him. "Right?"

    "That was different," he tried to explain. "That was just a sort of, what do you call it, a stop gap measure? Is that what I mean? I knew it was just a temporary thing, that I'd be with you soon. This was something that I thought was going to be forever." He started blinking rapidly, his sign of imminent tears. I held him close.

    "Did you ever think about going to find, you know, someone else? Besides Jenny?" I questioned softly, half dreading his answer. "I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you had."

    He pulled his head back so he could look at me. His wide set eyes were beautiful in the firelight, extra bright with the tears that threatened. He shook his head. "No. Where on earth would I have gone to find someone else like you?" He asked simply.

    "Well, I meant just for sex," I said gently.

    "I guess I've changed, then, because I'm not looking 'just for sex' anymore," he said, running his thumb down my cheek. "You've spoilt me," he said with a gentle smile.

    "What about you?" He asked. "Hmm?"

    "What about me?" I responded.

    "Did you um, you know—" he seemed at a loss for words.

    "Are you asking me if I masturbated?" I asked with a laugh.

    "No, actually, that had never occurred to me," he said, "though now you mention it, the image is very hot, sexy as hell." He rubbed his hips against me.

    "I just meant, did you consider looking for someone else?" He asked finally. "If not Dr. Asshat, then someone else? The blond boy? What did you say his name was? Phillip?"

    "Gay Phillip?" I asked.

    "Oh." He smiled. "I guess not, then. Um, let me think--"

    "No," I cut him off firmly. "It took me twenty-three years to find you, Teddy. Like you just said, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for someone else, even if I wanted to.

    "I don't want anyone else. I don't think I ever will. It never occurred to me to look. I never stopped thinking of us as a couple," I said softly.

    Would not think of Geth. Would not.

    "Me either," he said. "I tried, I really did. I thought that if I just, released you, you'd fly away eventually. But you didn't, bless you." He kissed me, pulling me close by the back of my head, pushing his tongue into my mouth, pushing my head back into the cushions.

    "God, I love you," he said, "so much, so fucking much."

    He moved down the sofa, kissing my body as he went, putting his face between my legs, his tongue between the folds of my sex, leaving me incoherent and gasping, reaching for his head and pulling at his hair, making mewling sounds like a kitten. He grasped my hips, making moaning sounds of pleasure, sucking so hard I could feel myself swelling, sending me to another plane altogether.

    "Come for me," he breathed. "Want to taste you, want to know I made you come all over my mouth." Holy fuck. His words and actions brought his wish to fruition, and I tensed as I climaxed, then relaxed, my body releasing what he sought with his mouth.

    "Fuck me, Shelley," I murmured.

    He laughed softly. "I intend to," he said. "Though first, I vote for a change of location," he scooped me up in his arms, "and a change of position, if you don't mind." And he carried me to the carpet in front of the hearth, where he sat down and put me on his lap, lowering me onto him.

    He sighed deeply and long as he felt me on him, kissing me, putting his arms around me. "You look absolutely stunning in the firelight," he whispered to me in between kissing me. "You make me so, so happy, Birdie."

    He lifted me, very slightly, with one arm, giving slight exhalations of pleasure every time he lowered me onto himself. He kept his other hand between us, rubbing gently, keeping me in a nearly constant state of arousal or orgasm, until I was weak, my forehead resting against his shoulder, breathing rapidly, eyes closed. "Teddy, I love you, I love you," I breathed.

    "Love you too, so, so, much, Birdie," he murmured, eyes closed. "Coming...shit..." he made a sound, almost like he was in pain, and pushed up into me, lifting me up off of the floor, squeezing the breath out of me.

    We slowly came back down together, relaxing, exhaling, holding each other.

    He began to stand up, so I tried to climb off him, but he held me to him. "Teddy, you'll hurt yourself," I admonished.

    "Are you fucking kidding me?" He said, rising with almost no effort. "You weigh nothing, darling." And he carried me to the bedroom, putting me into the bed.

    "I'll be right back with your pjs, okay?" He said softly, kissing my nose. I nodded.

    He returned a few minutes later, having banked the fire and put away the food, I guessed, with our pjs. We quickly put them on and fell asleep, wrapped in each other's arms, the most blissful sleep we'd had in months. I don't think I twitched for the rest of the night.