Chapter 36

"Gethin, dammit, let me in!" He shouted. "Fuck! Geth! Let me in, god dammit!" He pounded on the door, so hard I was amazed it didn't crack.

    "What in the hell is going on?" I jumped and turned around. Sally was sitting up in Gethin's bed.

    Fuck. "Oh, Geth, I completely forgot you had company, I'm so sorry, I really am." I looked at him with contrition.

    "It's okay, poppet, this is definitely more important."

    "What?" This from Sally.

    Gethin turned to look at her. "Look, I'm sorry, but this is obviously a family emergency, can we do this another time? I'll call the car to take you home, okay? And I really am sorry, truly."

    "Are you having me on?" She sat up even straighter.

    "No, I'm not, unfortunately," he said. "You're going to have to go, this is really serious. Again, I'm really sorry. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

    I pulled on his arm. "I can go through to your dressing room and just spend the night in there, really. God, I'm so sorry."

    He kissed my forehead. "Don't be ridiculous. You're dripping wet, and crying."

    Sally flipped off the covers, gathered her clothes and headed for the bathroom. "You know what? Don't fucking bother, really."

    While she was in there, Geth found me something to wear, a shirt that hung nearly to my knees. Teddy pounded on the door from time to time, asking to be let in.

    "I just need to talk to her, mate, please," came his voice through the door. Geth looked at me. I shook my head.

    Sally came out of the bathroom, ready to leave. Geth sent a text. "Car's out front waiting. And listen, I really am sorry, obviously none of this is your fault, please accept my apologies." She waved off the apologies, but did let him kiss her cheek.

    "Now, that bloke in the corridor, he's not going to hurt me when I walk by, is he?" She asked nervously.

    "No," Geth responded. "Theo? Sally's leaving now, so I'm opening the door. Just let her pass, okay, mate? And Tink's going to spend the night in here, so why don't you just go to bed, yeah? We'll all talk in the morning. Sounds like you might have had a little too much to drink, so this isn't a good time to talk, anyway. Get some sleep, mate, see you in the morning?"

    He opened his door, let Sally out, shut it right away, and locked it. He turned off the over head light, leaving only the bedside lamp on.   

    He headed for the sofa, grabbing a pillow from the bed. I grabbed the pillow from his hand and threw it back on the bed, pulling the covers down on both sides. I climbed in and patted the other side. He raised his eyebrows at me. I nodded and patted the other side again. He sighed and got in, keeping a sedate distance between us, and turned off the light.

    "So you want to tell me what happened?" He said. I scooted closer to him, lifting his arms over me, tucking my head under his chin.

    I told him about what I'd asked about Teddy's past, about his response, about how the conversation had spiraled out of control and turned into him ranting about how he just took what he wanted without any thought as to the consequences, and about how he seemed to think I'd be better off without him. I finished with how I'd asked if he was breaking up with me because of the question about the bubble bath, and about how he hadn't denied it, just reiterated that he thought I'd be better off without him.

    By the end of all of this I was really flipping. Geth drew me to him, patting my back and stroking my hair. I hooked my leg over his, pulling myself even closer.