Chapter 6

I'd wondered about that myself. We seemed pretty active, but I'd assumed that all new couples behaved this way. I was sore from all the activity, and Teddy had hilariously presented me with a tube of lotion, "to help with your, um, chafing issues", as he'd put it. And he'd needed it, too, which I guess was a first for him. He'd insisted on applying it to me himself, which had resulted in more of the original, chafing causing activity, of course. Which had made us laugh.

"And, and, she's been on the pill since forever, so we don't have to use anything, and it feels fucking fantastic, not just for the physical aspect, but to know that there's nothing between us, it's a huge symbolic barrier, you know? And I've never felt anything like it before, it's a completely different experience. So much deeper, wetter, tighter, dunno, I can't really explain it. I can feel every part of her. I thought my head was going to explode. I don't ever want to use anything ever again, that's all I know." I heard Geth laugh. "I didn't think it would be, but it's such a turn on to know that we're that much closer. And I never thought about it before, but knowing that no one's ever touched her but me, it's so hot, man, I feel guilty sometimes how much I love knowing that I'm the only one she's ever been with. I mean, she certainly doesn't have that about me, does she?"

"I'm sure she doesn't mind, mate," Geth said soothingly. "She fell in love with you knowing all of that. I mean, if that sort of thing mattered to her, she'd have fallen in love with Matthew."

"Yeah, I guess so," Teddy responded, and I knew he was running his hand through his hair again.

"And you know what else?" His voice grew quiet, and I leaned toward the open door a little. "She's got the most amazing body."

I sat back, surprised. I mean, I knew he was a boob man, but I figured, his lovely words when we were together notwithstanding, my body was an "in spite of" in our relationship, not a "because of".

"Yeah?" Geth sounded as curious as a little kid in a schoolyard; it made me smile.

"Yeah," Teddy responded, even quieter than before. "She's curvy, like, everywhere. Never really thought about it before, but the other women I've been with have been really, really skinny. I mean, they were fine at the time, you know? Like they looked really smashing in photographs and all, but now I've been with Birdie, I can't even imagine wanting those tiny tits, or or those godawful fake ones, and bony hips, like, ever again." He laughed, embarrassed. "Don't get me wrong, mate, if something happened to her, like she got cancer or something, and had to have, um, bits chopped off or whatever, it wouldn't matter to me, not at all, you know? In a weird way, what we have kind of goes beyond our bodies, get what I mean?"

"Bro, that's not weird, that's just love," Gethin laughed back comfortably. God bless Geth. "It's finally happened to you. That's just—" silence while he searched for the word, "—nice," he finally concluded.

"Fuck, Geth, I'm actually blushing," Teddy admitted. "Time for a subject change, okay?"

"Sure, mate," Gethin agreed. "What do you want to talk about, then?"

"Well, speaking of Matty, could you do something for me, man?" Teddy ventured.

"Of course, what's up?"

"Birdie wrote to him, like an actual letter, the day after she arrived here, to explain to him about us, what had happened, like. She didn't want to do it in a text or FaceTime, thought he deserved something more personal, you know? So it's been nearly two weeks, it must have arrived by now, and she asked him to contact her after he'd read it, but so far she's not heard from him at all, and it's making her really upset. She's afraid he really hates her." Teddy stopped for a minute.

"Well, that doesn't sound like Matty at all," Gethin said. "I mean, he does like to think things over a bit before taking action, but he would never leave someone hanging like that, knowing that they were suffering and waiting to hear from him."