Chapter 38

We just held each other and cried for a few minutes, until we mutually tapered off. He finally lifted his head to look somberly into my eyes, first wiping them, then his own, with the edge of his T-shirt.

Then he took his shirt off and put on me, pulling it over my head and pulling my arms through the holes, though I hadn't asked to put it on. My eyes asked the question.

"I was sitting here fully dressed and you were completely naked," he said. "I didn't want you to feel vulnerable in front of me, that's all. I think we've had enough of that for today," he finished softly, the corners of his mouth pulling down as though he was going to cry again. He resolutely firmed up his lips and kissed me.

"Let's get some sleep, okay?" He asked, looking at me. "I mean, you are going to stay, right?" He suddenly looked uncertain. "I mean, we're okay? We're fine, right? You forgive me?" His voice was getting softer. "We, we, I mean--"

"Yes, yes, yes, Teddy, we're fine, oh my god, yes," I said, smiling, my eyes filling. "I'm exhausted, let's get some sleep, sounds great.

"Let me go to the bathroom real quick first, okay?" He nodded.

While I was in the bathroom I sent Geth a quick text, a thumbs up with a heart. He sent back a heart. When I went back, the lights were already out.

I got in bed, knowing that I would have to be the one to reach for him tonight. I felt for him. He was facing away from me, curled nearly into a ball. I pulled on him, calling his name.

"Teddy, please turn around, I want you to hold me." And I didn't have to fake the quaver in my voice, I was weak over how close I'd come to losing him, us.

He rolled over, heaving a bellows breath that let me know that he, too, was still feeling very emotional. His arms came around me, his scent enveloped me, and I felt a sigh of relief well up from a place deep inside as I settled into him.

Almost without thought I moved up to kiss him, and though at first he pulled away from my touch, I followed him, and he finally returned my kiss, at first tentatively, then finally with ardor, putting his hand on my jaw, his thumb on my chin.

I felt him against me, growing hard, and I could hear his exhalations, little sighs and moans as he grew excited.

"We don't have to do anything tonight," he whispered. "I understand if you don't want to. It's been a real roller coaster. Let's just kiss and cuddle, hold each other and be close, okay?"

I pulled back and looked at him. "No," I said softly. "I love you, and I want to make love with you." I reached out and touched him. "You want to, don't you?"

"Of course I want to," he said, stroking my face. "I just didn't want you to feel like you had to, after everything I put you through, that's all."

"Well," I said, pulling myself as close as I possibly could to him, "please scoot up to a sitting position, Mr. Shelley, as that is how I would like to do it tonight, okay?" I kissed him and smiled.

"Very happy to oblige, Ms. Foster," he said with a soft smile, sitting up and leaning against the headboard.

I peeled his sweat pants off him, and pulled his shirt off of myself quickly, dropping both off the side of the bed.

I climbed up on the bed, straddling him, and lowered myself on him, putting my arms around his neck and kissing him as I did so.

We both let out a simultaneous sighs as we connected with each other, saying "I love you," at the same time. We smiled at the serendipity of this moment, leaning our foreheads together. He buried his face in my neck, and I realized after a minute that he was crying again. I hugged his head to me and kissed his temple, which was salty with perspiration.