Chapter 9 - Meeting Alexander and Ned

After waiting on the train for what felt like forever, though it was only about ten minutes, we had finally arrived to Lambeth. I had gotten up from the couch, that I had decided to lay upon as we traveled, and stretched my arms, being very mindful of my wounds. I had no plans of returning to the hospital anytime soon. 'The sooner I've made a recovery, the better.' I thought as we made our way off the train.

"So, how long are we going to be walking before we get to your friends workshop?" I asked as we walked.

"Not that long. Alexander's workshop isn't that far from the station." Henry replied and nothing else was said as we continued walking.

Mini time skip

"Ah, blast 'em!" Was the first think we heard as we walked through the front door of the workshop. I looked over to where the voice was coming and saw a man with brown hair and brown eyes sitting at a desk, with a book in his hand.

"Aleck, whatever is the matter?" Henry asked him.

"I have been intercepting nothing but poppycock propaganda about Soothing Syrup and whatnot. No, I swear to high heavens, if Starrick's monopoly continues..." He didn't continue on as Henry interrupted him.

"Aleck, I beg your pardon, these are friends of mine. These two are the Frye twins, Jacob and Evie." He said as he pointed to the twins. "And this here is (Name)." Alexander placed the book down on his desk and stood up, walking towards us.

"Oh, um...Alexander Graham Bell." He introduced.

"Linguist, Inventor and technical expert. Aleck, I have something of a favour to ask you." Before Henry could say more, Jacob pushed him aside, pulled out the gun and said,

"Can you fix this?" Alexander grabs it from Jacob and begins to inspect it.

"Hmmm...Looks like the casing is cracked." He says and begins to tinker with it. "Oh, it comes apart. I say, I could have used one of these to fix my fuses on top of Big Ben."

"Wait, what do you mean about fuses and Big Ben?" I asked.

"Aleck is installing a new telegraph line for our Free Press Association." Henry replied.

"To combat Starrick Telegraph Company. Now, if I mend the fuses connecting independent lines from Big Ben, Starrick will be weakened."

"That is certainly beneficial on our end." I said.

"Indeed." Evie then said.

"Only, we are somewhat at a handicap." Alexander said as he waved his arm, that has a bandage around it before tinkering some more with the gun. "And, there. I've removed the mechanism so it may now work with your bracer. If I'm correct, you will now be able to scale up buildings instead of having to climb them." Jacob grabbed it from his hand and said.

"I'll put it to use immediately." Only to have Evie say,

"Jacob wait." She then turned to Alexander. "Mr. Bell, allow me to help you with the fuses."

"Oh, you will not find me too proud to accept Miss Frye. We can use my carriage. If you'd be so good as to hold the reins." Alexander said.

"I'll take that." Evie said as she grabbed the mechanism from Jacob.

"Ah, I can help you." With that said, Alexander placed the mechanism on Evie's bracer before they left the workshop.

"Bloody hell, I was looking forward to testing out what the mechanism does once it's attached to the bracer." Jacob said as he pouted, and I couldn't help but let out a giggle.