Chapter 38 - Driving Mrs. Disraeli

"Are you sure everything is alright, Miss Starrick?" My father's man who was escorting me home asked after a few moments of silence.

"Of course, it was just a mere headache is all." Was all I said as we continued, the silence engulfing us once more. It wasn't long before we reached our destination.

"This is where I leave you, ma'am. Do take it easy for the rest of the day."

"Will do. Thank you for escorting me." With that I walked into the house and made my way to my room, with many questions circling my mind, but no answers just yet.

"(Name), is that you?" I heard my father call out.

"Yeah, it's me, father." I responded.

"Are you alright, dear? I haven't heard from you nearly all afternoon." He said as he arrived to my room.

"Yes, father. I am fine. I was just resting in my room." I knew I couldn't tell him that I was roaming around the streets of London without him knowing, especially when I wasn't with any of his men until being escorted home.

"Alright, well I have some work that needs to be done." Just as he was about to leave, he stopped in his tracks and continued. "I know it must be tiresome to stay indoors all day, but please understand that this is for your safety. I can't bear the thought of losing you to the dangers of those that stalk around London."

"Father..." I didn't know what to say.

"Please understand." Was the last thing he said before walking away.

Jacob's POV

It was nearing the time to meet Mrs. Disraeli. I had arrived in the rear garden of her house, where I saw her ready to go, while holding her dog.

"Madam." I say as I approached her.

"Mr. Frye." She says

"Ready to take the air? Devil's Acre should just be coming alive."

"I'm afraid I must cancel our engagement. The lawn is crawling with scandal-hunting journalists, and I simply cannot be seen in the company of someone so..."

"I'll see them off. You follow along when it's clear." Just as I was about to walk away, she said,

"Yes, yes. Be gentle, won't you? The press are notoriously touchy about any violence to their person." I couldn't help but laugh

"I'll barely ruffle a hair on their heads."

"Arf, arf." The dog barks as I go to pat his head.

"Shh, Desmond." Mrs. Disraeli says. I walk out of the garden and see the reporters flooding the lawn. I looked around and noticed a paper girl, an idea suddenly coming to mind. I approached her and said,

"That's yours if you can get those chaps over there to follow me." And handed her some money.

"Right you are, sir." The paper girl says as she took the money and waved her arms at the reporters. "Blimey, look! It's Squire Banecraft!" At her words, they all looked in our direction.

"Best lead them astray before they tear me to shreds." I mutter out as I begin to lad them away from the house.

"Mr. Banecraft! Mr. Banecraft! What's coming up next for the Prince of Wales?" One reporter called out.

"Will you be performing Mr. Robertson's new work?" A second one says.

"Who will you be playing?" A third calls out.