Chapter 36 - Playing Politics

Jacob's POV

After dealing with the robbery, as well as having a few moments of sitting in the cart rather smugly, I finally decided to get back to the train, though I was in no real rush to get there. I allowed myself to get lost in my thoughts, though found that they drifted to thoughts of (Name), mainly the thought that maybe, just maybe, she was the one I was chasing before dealing with the robbery. 'I want to believe that it was her, that she was just within my reach. But then, if it was truly her, why would she run away from me? What happened to her while she has been away from us...from me...No Jacob, this is not the time to be thinking about this. It'll just distract you from what you need to do. And (Name) will be fine. She is a strong woman who can take care of herself...she can take care of herself...' With that last thought, I carried on towards my destination.

Time skip

"Dear Mr. Starrick, men hired. Strike tomorrow. Disraeli's death will stall Corrupt Practices Act indefinitely. Gladstone will be more applicable. May the Father, etc, etc. – B" I say as I begin to read a letter that I found waiting on the desk in one of the carts on the train. "So Starrick's got his finger in politics, has he? I need to enter this Sinopean Club and fins out who 'B' is."

"Tread delicately around Parliament." I hear Evie say with a sort of warning tone in her voice.

"As if I don't usually." I couldn't help but scoff at her.

"Your indiscretion at the Bank of England caused British currency to nearly collapse."

'Nearly' is the operative word. Speaking of collapses, what of the key you found that unlocks very little?"

"Henry took it for research, I am confident that the vault is ours."

'Nearly' ours, Evie. Nearly." Was the last thing I said before making my way out of the train. However, I didn't get far as I felt Evie place her hand on my shoulder, causing me to stop in my tracks and turn around ever so slightly.

"What of (Name)?" I slightly winced at her question and prayed that she didn't notice.

"I don't know, Evie. I could've sworn I saw her not too long ago but..." I begin to say, becoming aware of the mix of emotions I am feeling right now, hoping to supress them.

"Jacob?"

"If it was her, then why did she run away? It's like she didn't recognise me, so it couldn't have been her. But the resemblance..." This is odd to me, all these emotions that come pouring out, this isn't like me. I need to get myself together.

"Are you alright, Jacob?"

"Bloody hell, what is wrong with me? This isn't like me, not at all." I could feel that she wanted to say more, but I merely shook her hand off. "Well I'm off. Places to go, people to see, thugs to dispose of. You know how it is." With that, I left the train.

Mini time skip

It didn't take long for me to find where the Sinopean Club is held and to infiltrate it. While I love a good fight and hold nothing back, I wasn't in the mood to deal with any guards, so I avoided being seen at all cost and managed to find the perfect spot to hide and observe.

"All right, 'B', who are you and what's your game?" I muttered out as I looked all around me while staying within the shadows. I didn't have to wait long before I spotted the Prime Minister. "Well, if it isn't my dear old chum, Mr. Disraeli. Now, Prime Minister, which of your friends is about to stab you in the back?"

"The Corrupt Practices Bill is a vital step in reforming our government. If the majority party is allowed to dictate the results of contested elections, we can scarcely call ourselves free." Disraeli begins to say.

"If we yield up to our rights bit by bit to the courts, we can scarcely call ourselves free, sir." Another man, who seems rather unfamiliar to me, said in reply.

"This is so like you, Gladstone! You would rather throw your body upon the gears of progress than surrender one iota of power!" Ah, so that's who the man is.

"By God, Disraeli, you ae a fool! I'll not stand idly by and watch you drag Parliamentary privilege through the muck!"

"No, certainly not! You'd rather return us to the yoke of tyranny? Perhaps while we're at it, Mr. Gladstone, we could repeat Magna Carta and return the crown to the bloody Stuarts!"

"How dare you, sir! Merely because I do not wish to see government placed in the hands of judges, you would make theses slanderous accusations? I'll not stand for it!"

"Then I shall obviate the requirement. Good evening, sir." The Prime Minister begins to walk off and it was only a few moments later when I saw someone following behind him.

'B' I presume." I mumbled out before giving chase. The spy caught on quickly that he had someone coming after him as he begins to run away. Of course, it wasn't long before I eventually tackled him. "Pleasure to meet you, 'B'."

'B'? My name's Hubert!" He yelled out, with clear confusion in his voice.

"Then why are you following the Prime Minister?"

"It's just a job, sir. Some old bloke paid me to..." Suddenly there was a nice sized bullet shape hole in his head. I looked over to where the sound came from and saw some woman with a sniper atop a church.

"Smug bastard." Was all I said before dropping the now dead body to the ground and ran towards the church and after the sniper.

"Yappy bastard!" The woman said as she begins to run. "Mopsy bugger!" She turned around just enough to shoot at me, only to end up unsuccessful as I dodged every bullet. It wasn't long before we got the edge of the rooftop, where she hesitated, and I was able to catch her. "Shite!" I grabbed her by the front of her shirt and held her over the edge. "Bloody hell! Where'd you come from?"

"Well, I was born in Crawley, but that's by the by. Who are you working for?"

"I-I never got his name. Old chap, big moustache. Wore some kind of uniform. Hussars, maybe."

"What's his game?"

"Please, he'll kill me."

"And a three-storey drop will shatter your legs and send you to the workhouse, difference is, you can run from him."

"Tomorrow! My lads are going to attack the Prime Minister's carriage on the way to Parliament." I unhand the sniper who rushes off.

"Perfect." Jacob said. Suddenly, I got this feeling that someone was watching me. I down and around as I was still atop the building and saw someone wearing a cloak standing not too far away from me. Not thinking too much of it, I merely shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

End of POV

Ok, so I might've lied to my father when I told him that I was going to stay away from this Jacob. There was just something about him that drew me in, a sense of familiarity, and I needed to know why that was. So, without my father knowing, I grabbed my cloak and snuck out of the house in hopes of finding Jacob. It was quite easy when I heard a gunshot nearby. Like anyone else, I looked towards the sound and saw the man I was looking for. Of course, I wasn't going to just approach him, but merely observe from a distance to see if there was anything about this man that would answer the questions I have raging inside. Suddenly, I saw that he spotted me but merely shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I let out a breath of relief before my head started to hurt and my vision went black.

Flashback

"Pray tell Miss (Last Name), is there something more you might be looking for?" He said as he inched closer. I felt my heart beat rapidly against my chest due to the close proximity, but I remained calm, on the outside at least.

"Perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't. Who can truly tell with people these days as to what they are looking for, something they truly desire perhaps?" I replied, my voice dropping to a mere whisper.

End of flashback

I blinked a few times as my eyes fluttered open in confusion. 'What was that just now? A blurry face, a familiar voice, was that a memory? And the man, he sounded so much like Jacob. Just who are you Jacob? What are you to me?'