Chapter 22 - Friendly Competition

Jacob's POV

'Jacob Frye, you are a complete and utter idiot.' I mentally scold myself as I walk the streets of London in search of Pearl Attaway. 'Damn it, she was right in front of me, looking as if she was waiting for me to kiss her. Why the hell did I pull away at the last minute? I had the opportunity to kiss her, to feel her lips against mine, like she was mine.' I felt nothing but anger towards myself for not kissing her. But then, I thought about what we are all dealing with right now, what we are trying to accomplish. 'No matter how much I wanted to kiss her, I just couldn't do it. No matter what I feel for her, I can't act upon it, not now anyway. We need to free London before I can even think about wanting to be with her.' I knew that we didn't have time to indulge ourselves in the simple pleasures of life, to allow ourselves to think about what we want or who we want, to give into our hearts desires. 'I must simply wait before I can act upon the feelings I seems to have towards (Name). We simply don't have time for any distractions, we must stay focus on the task ahead. Though, it's easier said than done.' My thoughts were interrupted as I came across someone standing beside a burning omnibus.

"Those fiends!" She yelled out as she watched them go up in flames. I walked over to her and, with a questioning tone, said,

"Miss Attaway..."

"Yes, may I..." She begins to say as she turns around. "Oh, splendid, you're here to murder me."

"I...what?" I asked with confusion at her words.

"No matter, everyone has a price. Is this enough?" She then offered me a coin, to which I gently pushed her hand away and said.

"I'm not here to kill you."

"Then what's your game?"

"Mr. Starrick and the Millner Company have blocked your ambitions long enough. I have a business proposition for you."

"Wonderful! Come with me, we have much to discuss, Mr..."

"Jacob Frye, at your service." I shook her hand as I introduced myself.

"Truer words were never spoke."

Mini time skip

"If you'd be so kind as to take the reins." Pearl spoke as we approached another one of her omnibuses, one that hadn't been set on fire. With a quick nod of the head, I sat in the front and took control of the reins, spurring the horses on to begin trotting. "You must understand, I've received threats against my life. Malcolm Millner has all but waged war on me since Mr. Starrick brought out his company. And, no offense, I hope, but you do look like the killing type." I couldn't help but chuckle at her words.

"I doubt I shall ever recover from such a slight."

"What, then, is your interest in my redemption, Mr. Frye?"

"I sense an opportunity that will benefit us both."

"Do you?" I could sense the surprise in her voice as she spoke.

"Is that so hard to believe?"

"Whatever your intentions, it will be quite the tonic to strike back against Millner and Starrick. I have worked like a trooper to make Attaway Transport what it is today. I will not allow anyone to bring me to ruin." Nothing more was said as a carriage drove past us. "That's one of Millner's!" Another carriage had sped past us as it attacked one of Attaway's omnibuses. "I can't lose another bus!" With determination coursing through my veins, I spurred the horses to go faster, chasing after the one who is attacking the omnibus. "Get away from my bus!" Pearl all but shouted as we got closer and closer to the carriage, which had done a significant amount of the omnibus.