Chapter 44 - Final Act

Jacob's POV

"Though you are hidden behind a mask, what I speak is nothing short of the truth." I said as I begin to walk closer, closing the distance between us with each step I take. I looked to see if she was going to stop me, only to see that she has remained still. "Perhaps you will allow me to see what lies beyond the mask?" I slowly lifted my hands to her face, gently caressing it before moving my fingers to the back of her head to untie the mask. I slightly held my breath as we looked into each other's eyes and I go to untie the mask, however, she gives me a sorrowful look before she placed her hand on mine, stopping me from removing the mask.

"I apologise Mr. Frye, but I should be heading back now. I'm sure Mr. Roth would worry if I do not return." Before I could say anything else, she walked away, leaving me there to think over just why I couldn't unmask her and see who she is. Not knowing is driving me insane, especially when I feel as if I need to know who she is. It doesn't help when (Name) is still missing and we have heard no word from her ever since she disappeared. 'This is bloody ridiculous' I thought as I walked off.

Mini time skip

The night begins, and so to does the final act. I sit atop a building and observe the Alhambra, not knowing how the night will go, nor the way it will end, except for my blade meeting Roth. With that goal, I look around and see what I can do to get into the theatre.

"Masks, over here!" I heard a vendor call out to all who passes by.

"This way to the Alhambra!" An employee said. I looked over and saw Roth speaking to the employee, before putting on his mask and entering the theatre.

"Roth..." I muttered out.

"Masked guests this way." I looked over and saw an usher call out. "Masks only. I repeat, ladies and gentleman, this entrance is masks only." 'Looks like I have a way in. Now, all I need is a mask.' I looked around and saw one of Roth's guard wearing a mask. I quietly walked up behind him, killed him with my hidden blade and then put the mask on. I then joined the other special guests and followed them inside. "Let us enter the theatre for tonight's performance. Everyone ready? Then let's proceed!" The usher said.

"Mesdames et Messieurs, ladies and gentleman, welcome to the Alhambra Music Hall!" I hear Roth begin to say as I entered the theatre. "Tonight, we have, for one night only, a very special performance of Corvus the Trickster. While some of the effects may be visceral and highly disturbing, do not be alarmed, my good people. Fear not! This is the purest form of entertainment! Tonight's performance immortalizes and is for the benefit of a young fellow near and dear to my heart. Any concern or complaints may be addressed to him, ha ha ha! Jacob, dear boy, tonight is for you." I looked around the theatre from the viewing gallery, determining my next course of action.

"I'll be serving you this evening, gentleman." I heard a familiar voice speak. I looked over and saw the woman who's name still eludes me.

"You still here, love? Last time, I swear, you nearly poisoned us!" A Blighter said. I then looked over towards the stage and saw Roth walking behind it.

"Scene two, stand by!" Another Blighter said.

"We have a volunteer! A big round of applause for this brave, brave man!" Roth said as someone from the audience walked up to the stage. "Our volunteer is about to die for you, Jacob." I could hear the threat in his voice and knew I had to do something, and fast or else people will die.

"Damn you, Roth." I whispered out as I kept an eye on the stage.

"You lucky people are about to witness this gentleman being fired upon at point-blank range. Our performer will hit several targets placed around his head. Exciting, is it not?" I clenched my teeth and knew I had to work quick. "Oh ho ho! Will our honoured guest go unharmed? We British are a hardy bunch. Let's put that hardiness to the test!" The performance begins to heat up, I can see people sitting on the edge of their seats. "What a thrill! Do not fret, my friends, it's all part of the show! Please stay with us as we prepare for the next turn!" Thankfully, the performance ends with no deaths. As I was listening in to everything around me, I heard a man call out from behind the stage.