Chapter 29 - End of the line

The way back to the train was silent, neither of us were talking, most likely trying to process what we heard between Pearl and Starrick. 'So, they really are family, cousins in fact. I honestly don't know what to think about that. All I know is that she is the next one to get rid of.' As I was thinking, I looked over at Jacob, letting my thoughts wonder. 'How could he not know that she was part of the Order? Better yet, why would he help a random woman without know about her? He could've at least knew about her before working with her. Damn it Jacob, you've really gone and done it now.' I couldn't help but feel mad at him for the mess he made, yet I didn't say anything about it at all to him. I simply remained silent and walked beside him.

Time skip

"You seriously didn't know that she was part of the Order? You knew nothing about her and yet you did whatever she wanted. Why the hell would you do something like that?" I said the moment Jacob and I were back at the train.

"How was I supposed to know that she was a Templar?"

"I don't know, you could've maybe found out more about her before working with her."

"Why does it matter to you anyway?"

"Because, what you do could affect the rest of us. Has that never occurred to you?"

"Why should it when we are no longer working together?" His words caught me off guard, and I was unable to respond. "As far as I'm concerned, what I do is no bother to you, right?"

"I...I suppose you are right. I guess I was just being...a little jealous...when I have no right too." I all but whispered out.

"Seriously (Name), why does it matter to you what I do with other women? As far as I'm concerned, we're not together or anything, so you don't have the right to act like a jealous girlfriend or anything like that. If I remember correctly, you're the one who made it evidently clear that we are just friends. So, what I do shouldn't matter in the slightest to you." His words felt like knives in my heart, but I knew he was right. After all, I'm the one who is creating this distance, so I'm the one who should pay the price. Not wanting him to notice that I was hurting on the inside, I put on a fake smile and said,

"You're right, I apologise for my behaviour and my words. Don't worry, it won't happen again, I assure you."

"Wait, what are you..." Before he could say anything else, I interrupted him.

"Anyway, we have Pearl to deal with, right? Let us return to the task at hand and deal with her."

"Umm...alright then." I could see that he was now conflicted, but I really don't want to deal with our issues right now. I just want to get this over and done with.

Time skip

It's now the next day, and Jacob and I have met up with a member of the Rooks to talk about how we are going to retrieve the engines while taking Pearl down at the same time.

"Sir, ma'am! The engines have pulled into Waterloo. Once Starrick's men arrive, they're gonna unload the train." She said.

"Not if the train has already left. Assemble a team at Charing Cross. We'll send the engines there for you to recover." She nodded at us before walking off, leaving Jacob and I alone.

"Well then, I suppose we must be off." With that, we climbed up the rafters and into the station. Once in, I activated my eagle vision and assessed the situation of the station. The first thing I saw was the conductor holding back a large crowd.

"Ladies and gentleman, I apologise for the delay! We will get you get you into Central Station very soon! Where the hell is that schedule!" The conductor said. I looked around and looked into the office, seeing a group of Blighters holding the station chief hostage.