Chapter 32 - A Case of Identity

Jacob's POV

As I was making my way towards the exchange, I couldn't help but let my thoughts wonder in the direction of (Name), thinking about everything that has happened, especially with how she ran off after Pearl said something to her. 'Just what had she said to make (Name) run away like that? By the looks of it, (Name) clearly didn't want to believe it. Why couldn't she have told me what was going on? I could've helped her, yet she ran and left me there. I looked all over London for her, but my efforts where in vain. She never returned to the train, and I can't help but worry.' My thoughts were suddenly interrupted as I hear a voice yell out,

"Bus feud ends in blood!" I looked to see that it was a mere paperboy, waving around a newspaper.

"I'll take one." I said as I took the paper from him.

"Here you go, sir?" I heard the boy say in a rather questioning manner. I simply held the paper to my face as I noticed a banker and, what looks to be his associates, walk by.

"I saw we stop this goodwill toward stranger's nonsense and focus on what London really needs, solid leadership whose hard work will raise everyone up to success. As go the titans of business, so goes the world." The banker said, who looked to be Twopenny. He walked past a beggar and kicked what little money he had away.

"Oi, oi!" The beggar shouted.

"You weak fool, get a job!" Twopenny replied. I looked over and saw a group of guards nearby.

"The best guard's money can buy. Won't do Mr. Dredge any good." I mumbled out before handing the newspaper back to the boy and began my infiltration to find Dredge. I blended in with the people, keeping an eye out for this Mr. Dredge.

"Pardon me. Do you do business at the bank?" I hear a voice speak out not too far from me, causing me suspicion that this was the man I am looking for. I followed a couple of people who were walking in that direction, only to see the man move on to the next area. Sticking within a group of people, I followed him, wanting to see if this was the man I was looking for. He didn't go far before stopping again and said, "Anyone here visited the vault next door?" My suspicion grew, but I wanted to be sure before doing anything else. "Speak up if any here have heard of a man named Plutus mentioned in the bank next door." With those words, I snuck up behind him and grabbed him, locking his arm behind his back and slowly begin to walk out of the area so that we may have a conversation in private. "What on Earth?!" He called out in surprise.

"Keep your eyes ahead of you and walk." I simply commanded.

"Come now, you are barking up the wrong tree, sir." He said as we walked. "Stupid pillock, I'll have you arrested, I'll..." I interrupted before he could say more.

"The less you fight, the sooner you'll be released. Eyes front."

"Now wait a minute – I know that voice! Frye, is that you? Frye!" I quickly brought him far away from the exchange at his words as there was something familiar about him, now that I think about it.

"Jacob, it's me! Sergeant Frederick Abberline!" I released him and said,

"Freddy."

"Sergeant. Under cover. There's to be a robbery at the Bank of England, I'm sure of it."

"Robbery, it's a fortress?"

"The boys at the station thought I was joking. Wouldn't be so funny if it was their life savings."

"Who's behind it?"

"That's confidential."

"Oh, come on, Freddy. I can help you." I placed my hand on his shoulder and continued. "Imagine the headlines: "Thieves Caught in the Act! Abberline Right All Along."

"Well, I suppose I can fill you in a little. Every discal quarter, a branch of the bank is robbed, never the same branch. The thieves are supplied by...Cockham Merchants."

"Thanks for the info, Freddy." I said as I begin to leave.

"It's Sergeant! And, I-I'm keeping my eye on you." Was the last thing I heard before leaving the area.

End of POV

I look out the window into the streets below, watching as people pass by and enjoying the day before them. I let out a little sigh before looking away.

"Is everything all right, my dear?" Father asked with a concern.

"Of course, father. It's just...it's such a beautiful day and I would hate to waste it by staying inside all day. Might I go out, even for just a little bit? I promise, I won't go far and be back home safe and sound."

"You know how I feel about you going out there alone."

"I know but, I promise I won't go far and at the first sight of trouble, I'll come straight back home. I know I worried you before, but it won't be long." It was silent for a few moments before he let out a sigh and said,

"All right, but not for long and you are to come straight back home if you see any sign of danger." I walked over and gave him a quick hug.

"Thank you so much."

"Just remember (Name), don't talk to any strangers. I don't want anything to happen to you. And don't forget to wear your cloak."

"No talking to strangers and wear my cloak, got it." That was the last thing I said before grabbing my cloak, putting it on and then leaving, not wanting to waste anymore time in the house when I can be spending it outside.